Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

heeelllp also!!! reactions of period 3 oxides with acids watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me the equations for the reactions between period 3 oxides (Na2O, MgO, AlO3, SiO2, P4O10, SO2/SO3) with acids, ie HNO3, HCl and any others you know are on the AQA syllabus!!!! my friends and i have just realised they dont just mean with H2SO4 heeelp usss!!!!

ReputationRep:
    they shouldn't be asking this. its not even in the book :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i know!!! thats why im freaked!!!!! but it was on the module 5 exam 2003!!!!! it asks you to write equations for the reactions between, MgO and HNO3, SiO2 and NaOH, and Na2O and H3PO4?????? why!! why would they do this to us!! it just isnt right!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    i know!!! thats why im freaked!!!!! but it was on the module 5 exam 2003!!!!! it asks you to write equations for the reactions between, MgO and HNO3, SiO2 and NaOH, and Na2O and H3PO4?????? why!! why would they do this to us!! it just isnt right!!!
    yeh i saw it..some mad equations they were too ..

ReputationRep:
    btw, the answers were:
    MgO 2+ +2H+ ----> Mg2+ + H2O
    SiO2 + 2OH- ----> SiO3(2-) + H2O
    3Na2O + 2H3PO4 ----> 2Na3PO4 + 3H20

I couldnt have just worked that out in an exam!!!

ReputationRep:
    btw, the answers were:
    MgO 2+ +2H+ ----> Mg2+ + H2O
    SiO2 + 2OH- ----> SiO3(2-) + H2O
    3Na2O + 2H3PO4 ----> 2Na3PO4 + 3H20

I couldnt have just worked that out in an exam!!!
    hehe forget it, i dont think i can fit anything more into this head lol
    have u seen those other questions where they ask you toplan an experiment :confused: they're impossible..

ReputationRep:
    I guess they're just testing random chemistry knowledge.

*******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    hehe forget it, i dont think i can fit anything more into this head lol
    have u seen those other questions where they ask you toplan an experiment :confused: they're impossible..
    Yeah, not nice.

My prediction is for a bleach-determination question to pop-up like that, it didn't feature in the AS papers I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    Yeah, not nice.

My prediction is for a bleach-determination question to pop-up like that, it didn't feature in the AS papers I don't think.
    ok, i'll read over that then..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    Yeah, not nice.

wat the hels all that about? those equations aint that bad in the ionic way but the actual equations r hard to balance and know...

ReputationRep:
    aargh!!! curse bleach!!! thats a good point though, it didnt come up in the AS ones....but that was my theory with the kidney in Bio!!! (i squeezed it into my essay btw!!!) there is a horrible question, in a synoptic one, something to do with chlorine estimationy type stuff, and the iodine it displaces from sodium thiosulphate....is that it??? ... sigh, now i have to go and revise it!!! that and stupid extraction of metals equations!!!!! but i also must do some french!!! gaaaah!!! exam streessss!!!

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me the equations for the reactions between period 3 oxides (Na2O, MgO, AlO3, SiO2, P4O10, SO2/SO3) with acids, ie HNO3, HCl and any others you know are on the AQA syllabus!!!! my friends and i have just realised they dont just mean with H2SO4 heeelp usss!!!!

Well considering only ionic oxides are basic, only the metal oxides will react with acids at all! The reactions are all pretty standard neutralisation reactions, with the formation of salt and water.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry--- look at it this way.

MgO is a base
    HNO3 is an acid
    base + acid --> salt and water (you could do that)

SiO2 is an acid (in these circumstances) (remember metal extraction in mod 2)
    NaOH is a base
    acid + base again

Na2O and H3PO4 is another base/acid reaction.

In the exam, simplify things for yourselves. In this case all you have to do is think "acid-base", put in water as one of the products, work out the salt, and balance it.

It was a difficult paper anyways.

And if that is any help... in general

ionic oxides react as a base with acid (any strong acid will do)
    covalent oxides react as acid with base (any strong base will do)

As far as we are concerned, for period 3, Na and Mg oxides (and chlorides) are ionic, P and S oxides are covalent, and react as the general rule above. P4O10 and SO2 will probably dissolve in the water "part" of the acid, and form phosphoric acid (H3PO4) and sulphurous acid (H2SO3) respectively.

Al and Si are somewhat "dodgy" ones. Normally their oxides are sort of covalent lattice and won't react, but as we've seen in the SiO2 case in metal extraction (CaO + SiO2 --> CaSiO3(l), also called "****" and used as breeze blocks). For the sake of simplicity, under normal conditions, their oxides will not react, and their chlorides will undergo hydrolysis to form acidic solutions.

Hope this is useful.
    selkie

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.