Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that generally flower on a first date is a no (or at least a big gamble), but what if the girl told you before that she absolutely loves a specific kind of flower (not red rose or some BS like that). I think it can be a huge plus that you remembered that little detail. Would you do it?

ReputationRep:
    No,

because they then need to lug the dam things around.

you could always have them delivered the day after.
    cheaper, as well, if it doesn't go well

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think that's a nice thing to do in that instance, are you not getting her a bunch of flowers though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris_mm)
    I know that generally flower on a first date is a no (or at least a big gamble)
    Why is it a no? Its not really that over the top if you had a good build up to asking her out (like you know her quite well already)

but what if the girl told you before that she absolutely loves a specific kind of flower (not red rose or some BS like that). I think it can be a huge plus that you remembered that little detail. Would you do it?
    Then definitely, girls appreciate that you picked up on little things, it tells them that you do think about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    Why is it a no?
    Well, i would say it's a gamble. Usually, you don't really know much about a girl before a first date, let alone the flowers she likes. Also, it can be too much for someone, they feel weird and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    are you not getting her a bunch of flowers though?
    God no, just one piece

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite sweet actually

ReputationRep:
    Insincere, flowers are a symbol of affection. How can you have that much affection for someone on the first date? I think it makes them cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Aw she'll think you're really sweet and then she will begin to plan her future with you. Its that deep.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Definitely not for a first date.
    As a general rule of thumb, don't do stuff like that until you've had a few dates and established that there's actual chemistry between you two and you genuinely like the person. Until then there's no way of knowing if this person you've just met will be worth your time, you'd be surprised just how different people can be in real life compared to talking over phone/text. You might end up on a date with a complete wack job for all you know.

Displays of affection like that mean a lot more when their born out of genuine feelings, a genuine desire to make that person happy. You haven't known this person long enough and you going out of your way to buy flowers is a superficial way of trying to "woo" her or buy her affection.

ReputationRep:
    I like red roses.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do it, its a very sweet gesture. There's not really a negative outcome from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insert-username)
    Nope. Definitely not for a first date.
    As a general rule of thumb, don't do stuff like that until you've had a few dates and established that there's actual chemistry between you two and you genuinely like the person. Until then there's no way of knowing if this person you've just met will be worth your time, you'd be surprised just how different people can be in real life compared to talking over phone/text. You might end up on a date with a complete wack job for all you know.

Displays of affection like that mean a lot more when their born out of genuine feelings, a genuine desire to make that person happy. You haven't known this person long enough and you going out of your way to buy flowers is a superficial way of trying to "woo" her or buy her affection.
    We ended up going on a trip the first time we actually met and talked through the whole thing (about 12 hours, which is about 5-6 times more than other people talk on one date). So this would be the first time we're going out but as i said, it's wasn't like we texted 30 minutes on facebook and never met in person.

BTW, maybe it's just me, but i don't think a flower is that big of a deal. I mean of course it's a romantic gesture and shows that i'm interested in her, but for f**k sake.. i asked her out. It's obvious that i want something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxy1331)
    I like red roses.
    I don't know why but they remind me of funerals :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I know that generally flower on a first date is a no (or at least a big gamble), but what if the girl told you before that she absolutely loves a specific kind of flower (not red rose or some BS like that). I think it can be a huge plus that you remembered that little detail. Would you do it?
    I would wait until the 3rd or 4th date.

If you do it on a first date...she may think you do it the time. Also, you've gotta save some tricks up your sleeve, right?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.