Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Apr: Have you ever been bereaved? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    This week on Radio 1’s Surgery, Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about grief and dealing with the emotions that come with it.

Have you ever lost someone close to you? Or are you supporting someone who has? How did you find comfort?

Remember you can post on this page anonymously.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    This week on Radio 1’s Surgery, Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about grief and dealing with the emotions that come with it.

Have you ever lost someone close to you? Or are you supporting someone who has? How did you find comfort?

Remember you can post on this page anonymously.
    I've lost a few people close to me including a parent and 2 grandparents and for me the important thing about grief is to remember it affects everyone differently and any reaction could be consider normal. Also don't rush grief for some losses it can take months to years to deal with and it is okay to not be the same after it in some situations. Speaking to people when you feel ready and having supportive friends can be a massive help. Doing things with friends to keep my mind of it when my grandad died of cancer did really help me keep my sanity.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Lost my best friend nearly two years ago (time goes by quickly) and yesterday marked two years since I last saw her - unknown that it would be the last time. Finding comfort is never easy and it's not simple to deal with. Everyone grieves and reacts different and it can often take time to adjust to life once more. Sometimes it hits me suddenly and I know that I can't stop it. Just because someone doesn't cry doesn't mean they are grieving - they are in shock but try to keep it inside them. I would encourage people not to bottle it up because communication is key - although you should never force someone to talk about their feelings straight away as it is raw and painful.

ReputationRep:
    I lost my mum as a child, my nan a few years later, and my daughter in the first year of uni. I feel differently about each one I think. I still get upset about my nan, and I'll cry despite all the time that has passed. Things about people who have died I find easier to write down; I can't talk about it in person - I tend to shut down, it's somewhere I can't go. I internalise everything, and keep myself busy - I throw myself into work because if I stop I think I might fall apart (I'm not saying that's the best way to handle it).

We all find comfort (or coping strategies) in our own way; there's no time limit to grief - although it can feel as though others think we should have 'moved on' or 'got over it'. I think it's important to find a 'positive' way of grieving though - whether that's talking to someone, doing something creative, etc. rather than finding comfort in a bottle, or something self-destructive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.