The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni after completing a year, can I get an apprenticeship?

So I'm 20, and completed 1 year of university, I was wondering whether i'm eligible to apply for apprenticeships, and what sort of funding I could get?
Original post by L5253
So I'm 20, and completed 1 year of university, I was wondering whether i'm eligible to apply for apprenticeships, and what sort of funding I could get?

I believe higher apprenticeships accept you if you only have a level 4 qualifications.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I believe higher apprenticeships accept you if you only have a level 4 qualifications.

Thanks for the reply! Since a year on uni is a level 4 I believe, it would be okay?
Original post by L5253
Thanks for the reply! Since a year on uni is a level 4 I believe, it would be okay?

Yes i believe so :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by L5253

From what I have researched, you can receive funding for an apprenticeship only above the level of qualification you currently possess.
You will only receive funding when applying for level 5 apprenticeships or above (degree sponsored programmes) and not for level 4 higher apprenticeships.

That isn't to say you're ineligible, but you'll be at a disadvantage to other applicants who are eligble to receive funding for their training.

I emailed the national help desk a few months ago on a similar topic, this is what I got:

You can apply for apprenticeships at any level however you are only eligible for funding if you are undertaking an apprenticeship at a higher level qualification than you already hold e.g. if you hold a level 2 qualification, you will only be able to get funding if you apply for a level 3.

There is no upper age limit for an apprenticeship. Age is linked to the funding available from the government for the training side of an apprenticeship. 16-18-year-olds qualify for 100% and 19-23-year-olds qualify for 50%. Candidates who are 24+ may not be eligible for funding from the government however this can depend on the training provider. Anything above this the fee for training would fall to the employer to pay for. This isn't unheard of and it shouldn't deter you from applying.

The final decision regarding funding does fall to the learning provider so if you find a vacancy that is of interest to you then you may want to call the learning provider and talk to them as they will be able to provide you with more information on their specific eligibility criteria.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by csims97
From what I have researched, you can receive funding for an apprenticeship only above the level of qualification you currently possess.
You will only receive funding when applying for level 5 apprenticeships or above (degree sponsored programmes) and not for level 4 higher apprenticeships.

That isn't to say you're ineligible, but you'll be at a disadvantage to other applicants who are eligble to receive funding for their training.

I emailed the national help desk a few months ago on a similar topic, this is what I got:

You can apply for apprenticeships at any level however you are only eligible for funding if you are undertaking an apprenticeship at a higher level qualification than you already hold e.g. if you hold a level 2 qualification, you will only be able to get funding if you apply for a level 3.

There is no upper age limit for an apprenticeship. Age is linked to the funding available from the government for the training side of an apprenticeship. 16-18-year-olds qualify for 100% and 19-23-year-olds qualify for 50%. Candidates who are 24+ may not be eligible for funding from the government however this can depend on the training provider. Anything above this the fee for training would fall to the employer to pay for. This isn't unheard of and it shouldn't deter you from applying.

The final decision regarding funding does fall to the learning provider so if you find a vacancy that is of interest to you then you may want to call the learning provider and talk to them as they will be able to provide you with more information on their specific eligibility criteria.

So would OP have to pay for anything?
Reply 6
Original post by Cherry82
So would OP have to pay for anything?

No not at all.
Original post by csims97
No not at all.

Oh ok. Sorry I just assumed, I thought I had read something about no funding.
The truth is you can still find an apprenticeship if you already have a degree.

If an apprenticeship provides a degree, you'll likely not be accepted, as you already hold a degree, but you can apply for apprenticeships that don't provide degrees. There are people with degrees doing advanced apprenticeships because it's a way into a company. These tend to be bigger companies where the funding isn't so much of an issue.

But your one year of uni shouldn't stop you getting an apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending