Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    NiO2+2H2O+Fe --> Ni(OH)2+Fe(OH)2 (in basic solution)

No need to balance it, the equation is already balanced.

So then....

I got the half equations.

OXIDATION

Fe ----> Fe(OH)2 (Net change of +2)

Reduction

NiO2 +2H2O ----> Ni(OH)2 (Net change of -2)

Now time to balance the oxygen atoms?

So I thought:

Fe +H2O ----> Fe(OH)2 (Because I thought the LHS was the oxygen deficient side).

I figured that there was no need to add water for the reduction reaction because the 2H2O resulted in 4 H and 2 O on LHS, and there was 2 O and 2 H on RHS. So, the oxygens were balanced, the hydrogens were not.

Or would the fact that water was already present, make the RHS the oxygen defecient side ?

ReputationRep:
    The oxidation will require 2H2O to balance the O. There is then a need to add H+ to the right to balance the H. Then you'll add e- to balance the charges.

Don't start with H2O in the reduction equation, The O is already balanced. Again, there is a need to add H+, this time to the left and again, adding e- to balance the charges finishes that equation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Pigster)
    The oxidation will require 2H2O to balance the O. There is then a need to add H+ to the right to balance the H. Then you'll add e- to balance the charges.

Don't start with H2O in the reduction equation, The O is already balanced. Again, there is a need to add H+, this time to the left and again, adding e- to balance the charges finishes that equation.
    You can't add H+ as it's done in basic medium.

I've answered this question in the other thread.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops, I didn't see that.

In that case, I've explained how to convert to alkaline half equations in another thread - perhaps the same one?

Nope. It turns out it was another one.

Oh well.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.