Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if this was possible, I am very interested in Mergers and Acquisitions in IB.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know specifically who's hiring what in your part of the world, but lawyers (or liberal arts students of every description) go into investment banking all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You can go into IB with any degree. Law would be perfectly fine (and personally I think better than many other choices).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by maoism123)
    I was wondering if this was possible, I am very interested in Mergers and Acquisitions in IB.
    Yes.

Any degree would do (within reason, underwater basket weaving is a no go), preferably from a target/semi-target uni. You do have to keep in mind IBD is insanely difficult to break into so your CV (work exp, ECs, leadership positions, grades etc) better be top notch. And your interviewing technique, needs to be **** hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes.

Any degree would do (within reason, underwater basket weaving is a no go), preferably from a target/semi-target uni. You do have to keep in mind IBD is insanely difficult to break into so your CV (work exp, ECs, leadership positions, grades etc) better be top notch. And your interviewing technique, needs to be **** hot.
    What do you think is harder to get into, a training contract with Law firm or get into an IB?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by maoism123)
    What do you think is harder to get into, a training contract with Law firm or get into an IB?
    They're similar - assuming we're talking about front office IB here. Although, I don't really understand why you're asking about chances..

You've got to do some thinking as to which path is better for you. If you show any sort of indecisiveness during the TC/VS recruiting process, you'll have a tough time. Likewise, to put up with all the online tests, assessment centres, technical interviews in FO IB; you'd better have an unwavering interest. Recruiters can sniff out the people just aiming for any old high paying grad scheme very, very easily.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the skill sets for being a lawyer vs. an investment banker are not identical. Some people can do both equally well, but others will find themselves much more suited to one over the other.

ReputationRep:
    Any degree whatsoever is ideal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.