Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm currently leant over my 'AQA A Level Sociology Book One,' armed with my highlighter and notebook. However, I am astounded by the incredible number of names. I counted 14 sociologists in the Pupil's Sexual and Gender Identities subtopic alone. How many do I actually need to know? Do I need to know all or any of them?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

I would urge you to remember as many as you can. Some are worth remembering because they can be applied to lots of things (e.g. Marx>Capitalist Society>Functionalism.... that can be applied to loads of stuff). Make your notes similar to like how I've written about Marx here for easy memorisation (as long as this works for you and you understand your notes).

You will certainly need to remember a range of sociologists and sociological terms. For example one paper a few years ago asked what is a beanpole family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.

I would urge you to remember as many as you can. Some are worth remembering because they can be applied to lots of things (e.g. Marx>Capitalist Society>Functionalism.... that can be applied to loads of stuff). Make your notes similar to like how I've written about Marx here for easy memorisation (as long as this works for you and you understand your notes).

You will certainly need to remember a range of sociologists and sociological terms. For example one paper a few years ago asked what is a beanpole family.
    A question on the bean pole family isn't surprising at all to be honest...

For theories, I have all sociologist names, but for the other parts I usually pick ones that I think are relevant or ones that I think I can use in an essay somewhere. I don't think it's really advisable to just copy down every single sociologist, that's not really what notes are for.

The book also likes to put a lot of irrelevant information and studies that are supposed to help you understand the topic but aren't really going to be useful in an essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    A question on the bean pole family isn't surprising at all to be honest...

For theories, I have all sociologist names, but for the other parts I usually pick ones that I think are relevant or ones that I think I can use in an essay somewhere. I don't think it's really advisable to just copy down every single sociologist, that's not really what notes are for.

The book also likes to put a lot of irrelevant information and studies that are supposed to help you understand the topic but aren't really going to be useful in an essay.
    Thank you both for your great advise and insight! I shall certainly listen to both of you!

How do you establish whether you can fit it into an essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WizzoMagic)
    Thank you both for your great advise and insight! I shall certainly listen to both of you!

How do you establish whether you can fit it into an essay?
    I just try to think of whether it is either a relevant arguement, relevant evidence, or relevant evaluation.

once you start planning essays, which you should by the way, you'll start to realise a lot of the studies you have aren't necessary to learn.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends how you learn and everyone is different. I prefer to keep my notes short for exam prep.

An excellent source for clarity of definitions and ideas on how to use them is the collins red A level books (there's one for each unit). I'll be disappointed when the syllabus changes because new resources will need to be referred to for teaching and I love the current ones.

ReputationRep:
    also another think to consider when revising sociologist names that I forgot to mention is to consider whether you have enough names to fill an essay on a particular topic.

for example, if it was on cultural deprivation for working-class, go through your notes and see if you could write 4 to 5 paragraphs - if not, you need some more studies.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant advice! Thank you both! I'm sure this will also be beneficial to others!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WizzoMagic)
    Brilliant advice! Thank you both! I'm sure this will also be beneficial to others!
    i am a retard who keeps forgetting important information

get as many studies that criticise viewpoints or put forward a different arguement. this is arguably even more important than the sociologist studies names. for every paragraph you should have either one study to evaluate, a different theory or viewpoint, or something common sense like, criticise labelling by saying students may reject labels (bad example because there are good studies on this e.g. Fuller, but im sure you get the point).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.