Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The black lines that show red shift are confusing me, would anyone be able to explain to me how they're collected and what they can show. i get that an increase in wavelength of light means its red shift and if there are 2 to compare then the one towards the red side shows red shift, but I don't understand what is meant by the dark lines that can be found in the spectrum and what they are?

ReputationRep:
    Red shift is where light waves coming from distant galaxies are shifted to the red end of the spectrum, so if you compared the absorption spectra (black lines) of a near galaxy and far galaxy the far galaxy's black lines would be far more shifted to the red end and closer galaxies will have the black line closer to the absorption spectra of our galaxy.

This is because further away galaxies are moving at higher speeds than ones closer to us. Further to the red side of the spectrum the faster it is moving away from us. So by this you are able to tell that the universe is always expanding.

I hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrlhyms)
    Red shift is where light waves coming from distant galaxies are shifted to the red end of the spectrum, so if you compared the absorption spectra (black lines) of a near galaxy and far galaxy the far galaxy's black lines would be far more shifted to the red end and closer galaxies will have the black line closer to the absorption spectra of our galaxy.

This is because further away galaxies are moving at higher speeds than ones closer to us. Further to the red side of the spectrum the faster it is moving away from us. So by this you are able to tell that the universe is always expanding.

I hope this helped!
    Thank you! What exactly is meant by asorption spectra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f_und21)
    Thank you! What exactly is meant by asorption spectra?
    So when you shine line through a disc with a slit it diffracts into a spectrum (similar to a prism), and this can be used in telescopes so when you point it at a Sun the spectrum will have black lines on. The black lines are basically what the Sun is absorbing in its atmosphere. By this you can tell what a Sun is made out of (absorption spectra).

This is due to spectroscopy when you heat a material it gives of a specific light (if you do edexcel this is in c2). And then that light on the spectrum codes for a specific element

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrlhyms)
    So when you shine line through a disc with a slit it diffracts into a spectrum (similar to a prism), and this can be used in telescopes so when you point it at a Sun the spectrum will have black lines on. The black lines are basically what the Sun is absorbing in its atmosphere. By this you can tell what a Sun is made out of (absorption spectra).

This is due to spectroscopy when you heat a material it gives of a specific light (if you do edexcel this is in c2). And then that light on the spectrum codes for a specific element
    I do AQA, thanks for the help.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.