The Student Room Group

Epq topic ideas

Need some good EPQ topic ideas. I'm planning on doing it in the coming September but I want to be ahead and start now but I have no clue about ideas and the structure of the EPQ. Ideas?
Original post by Aaliyah.97
Need some good EPQ topic ideas. I'm planning on doing it in the coming September but I want to be ahead and start now but I have no clue about ideas and the structure of the EPQ. Ideas?

What subjects/topics do you like? Are you planning on going to uni? If so, which course? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
What subjects/topics do you like? Are you planning on going to uni? :smile:

I like a wide range of subjects like law biology and chemistry. I'm planning on going into accountancy or psychology if that helps in any way.
I was going to do this but I never got round to it. My idea was "Do we ever really know ourselves?" And talk about how we change so much all the time and how we adapt to certain situations and stuff but obvs there is a lot you can talk about with this topic...
I like a wide range of subjects like law biology and chemistry. I'm planning on going into accountancy or psychology if that helps in any way.

Perhaps something psychology related would be good then? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sltinthemaking
I was going to do this but I never got round to it. My idea was "Do we ever really know ourselves?" And talk about how we change so much all the time and how we adapt to certain situations and stuff but obvs there is a lot you can talk about with this topic...

Yeah it is really hard to think of a topic that would suit me. One thing I don't understand is: can you basically do a essay on anything what's so ever?
Reply 6
Perhaps something psychology related would be good then? :smile:

Thank you. Did you do the EPQ?
Thank you. Did you do the EPQ?

Yes, I did mine on a geology/palaeontology topic and got an A for it :smile:
Reply 8
Yes, I did mine on a geology/palaeontology topic and got an A for it :smile:

Oh wow that's great! Is there a structure that I will need to follow. And what else do I need to know before I start writing it. All I know so far is that I have to write an essay. Like I said I'm clueless, because I'm starting in September and this is my last and final chance to do well in a levels and I'm doing 2 intensive a levels and the EPQ in September that's why I need to start now. Thanks btw.
Oh wow that's great! Is there a structure that I will need to follow. And what else do I need to know before I start writing it. All I know so far is that I have to write an essay. Like I said I'm clueless, because I'm starting in September and this is my last and final chance to do well in a levels and I'm doing 2 intensive a levels and the EPQ in September that's why I need to start now. Thanks btw.

Do you know which exam board you'll be doing it with yet? I did mine with AQA, so I only know about the requirements for that :smile:

Apologies for the delayed replies by the way, my internet keeps disconnecting!
Reply 10
Do you know which exam board you'll be doing it with yet? I did mine with AQA, so I only know about the requirements for that :smile:

Yeah it's Aqa
Reply 11

No worries
Yeah it's Aqa

For AQA, the EPQ has 3 bits: the essay (or essay + artefact), the Log Book and the presentation. The essay needs to be roughly 5000 words in length, and ideally the topic should be somewhat controversial (or at least one where you can provide arguments for and against something). Essays where you argue for and against gain more marks than essays which are purely descriptive.

The Log Book is probably the most important, albeit repetitive and time-consuming, part of the project. You need to fill in the Log Book with as much detail as you can, because that's the part which gets you most of the marks.

The presentation is done after you finish the essay. It needs to be around 10 minutes in length, and have a question and answer session, or other 'interactive' element. Usually the presentation is done as a power point.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions, please ask :smile:
Reply 13
For AQA, the EPQ has 3 bits: the essay (or essay + artefact), the Log Book and the presentation. The essay needs to be roughly 5000 words in length, and ideally the topic should be somewhat controversial (or at least one where you can provide arguments for and against something). Essays where you argue for and against gain more marks than essays which are purely descriptive.

The Log Book is probably the most important, albeit repetitive and time-consuming, part of the project. You need to fill in the Log Book with as much detail as you can, because that's the part which gets you most of the marks.

The presentation is done after you finish the essay. It needs to be around 10 minutes in length, and have a question and answer session, or other 'interactive' element. Usually the presentation is done as a power point.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions, please ask :smile:

Thanks a lot that makes much more sense. For the log book is it every book and resources you've used or is it something else?
Yeah it's Aqa

AQA recommend this book for students working on the EPQ https://getrevising.co.uk/files/pages/39/element/3/Extended%20Project%20Activity%20Pack.pdf

Alternatively you could work through https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project over the summer - it's designed to help with the EPQ but could cover any research project and it helps from the start picking ideas through to doing research and writing up findings.
Thanks a lot that makes much more sense. For the log book is it every book and resources you've used or is it something else?

You put all of the books and resources you used in the bibliography for the essay. The Log Book is mainly about what you've done so far and what you're planning to do next (you write about these at three different stages: the start, middle and end of the project). The Log Book has instructions on what to write, so don't worry about that :smile:
Reply 16
You put all of the books and resources you used in the bibliography for the essay. The Log Book is mainly about what you've done so far and what you're planning to do next (you write about these at three different stages: the start, middle and end of the project). The Log Book has instructions on what to write, so don't worry about that :smile:

Thanks so much helped alot
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
AQA recommend this book for students working on the EPQ https://getrevising.co.uk/files/pages/39/element/3/Extended%20Project%20Activity%20Pack.pdf

Alternatively you could work through https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project over the summer - it's designed to help with the EPQ but could cover any research project and it helps from the start picking ideas through to doing research and writing up findings.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest