Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in my first year of study and am planning on dropping out as I am not enjoying it here. The trouble Is, I'm currently 1k overdrawn in my Santander student account. I'm receiving student finance payment in 6 days that would put my account to -200. At the moment my parents would just about be able to pay back the 200 if it had to be payed instantly, however there would be absolutely no way of me paying back the 1k if it had to be payed pretty soon. The problem is, someone has told me that if I drop out right after getting payed by student finance wales, they will just take back the money they gave me on the 11th of April.

I know this is not the best formatted question ever but I'm kinda stressing out.

So the question is, shall I drop out before I get payed and then just have the 1k overdraft which I would not be able to pay, or risk waiting for the finance to knock it down to -200.

Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NJames97)
    Hey I'm in my first year of study and am planning on dropping out as I am not enjoying it here. The trouble Is, I'm currently 1k overdrawn in my Santander student account. I'm receiving student finance payment in 6 days that would put my account to -200. At the moment my parents would just about be able to pay back the 200 if it had to be payed instantly, however there would be absolutely no way of me paying back the 1k if it had to be payed pretty soon. The problem is, someone has told me that if I drop out right after getting payed by student finance wales, they will just take back the money they gave me on the 11th of April.

I know this is not the best formatted question ever but I'm kinda stressing out.

So the question is, shall I drop out before I get payed and then just have the 1k overdraft which I would not be able to pay, or risk waiting for the finance to knock it down to -200.

Thank you.
    Student finance would expect the money back, however in some cases you can arrange a payment plan with them instead of giving it all back at once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Student finance would expect the money back, however in some cases you can arrange a payment plan with them instead of giving it all back at once.
    Thanks, the problem is not with them, its with repaying the 1k i owe to santander...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by NJames97)
    Thanks, the problem is not with them, its with repaying the 1k i owe to santander...
    You'll only know if you ask your branch really, graduates get a couple of years to pay back overdrafts but it could be different for leaving early.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.