Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go in to IB/Finance. I have offers of A*AA from both Durham and Warwick for Economics, for which I know Warwick is a more targeted university - yet I much preferred Durham as a university.
    If anyone could guide me, this would be really helpful as I need to make my choices soon. I'm also after a particular statistic, the % of Durham/Warwick Econ grads making over £38k and the amount in banking?

Thanks,CasioBose

ReputationRep:
    Go to whichever you prefer. It's you, not your university, that matters when you apply for a job- speaking from experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    check out whatuni.com

ReputationRep:
    Most importantly, due to the fact that both are obviously top universities and brilliant courses, choose the university where you can see yourself studying and simultaneously enjoying the experience.

Durham is notably much more prestigious and traditional, with a high percentage of students from public school. Hence you'll naturally make more (and better) connections there. Durham also has a high standard of pretty much every sport, so if you want to get involved in sport as well, Durham is your best option.

From numerous 1st connections, Durham grads have the work-hard, play-hard attitude, whereas studying at Warwick is very much work, work, work and not a lot of fun.

Moreover, from my experience, I've met/know of a lot more Durham grads working in investment banking and finance than I do Warwick grads. (Of course, that's not to say there aren't many Warwick graduates in IB etc.).

Whilst it is important to note that if you are the right applicant, you will get the job, it is also worth remembering that choosing the right university for you moulds/transforms you into a better applicant than before from your studies, societies and sporting experiences over the 3/4 years.

The choice is down to you! Good luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Enzo Ferrari)
    Most importantly, due to the fact that both are obviously top universities and brilliant courses, choose the university where you can see yourself studying and simultaneously enjoying the experience.

Durham is notably much more prestigious and traditional, with a high percentage of students from public school. Hence you'll naturally make more (and better) connections there. Durham also has a high standard of pretty much every sport, so if you want to get involved in sport as well, Durham is your best option.

From numerous 1st connections, Durham grads have the work-hard, play-hard attitude, whereas studying at Warwick is very much work, work, work and not a lot of fun.

Moreover, from my experience, I've met/know of a lot more Durham grads working in investment banking and finance than I do Warwick grads. (Of course, that's not to say there aren't many Warwick graduates in IB etc.).

Whilst it is important to note that if you are the right applicant, you will get the job, it is also worth remembering that choosing the right university for you moulds/transforms you into a better applicant than before from your studies, societies and sporting experiences over the 3/4 years.

The choice is down to you! Good luck.
    This is not biased at all..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go where you'd be happiest for 3 years, this is all that matters honestly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.