Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

left hand and right hand rule??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    when do you use the left hand rule and when do you use the right hand rule? my teacher said you use the left for when doing a motor but what would you class as a motor?

ReputationRep:
    generally use right hand for direction of induced emf's (Lenz's Law)

ReputationRep:
    I gave up physics since AS and am operating on GCSE level knowledge, so ignore me if I make no sense...

left hand rule is used to find force
    right hand rule is used to find current (I)

I'll go away now and back to chemistry (much safer territory for me!)

selkie

ReputationRep:
    use the left hand rule with motors, and the right hand rule with dynamos.

motors are machines that change electromagnetic energy into kinetic energy, i.e. currents and voltages into motion; dynamos are machines that change kinetic energy into electromagnetic energy, i.e. motion into voltages and currents.

this is basically what others have said, but here are my revision notes on hand rules:

HAND RULES

first finger field
    second finger current
    thumb motion

Fleming’s Left Hand Rule
    Used when a current from an external source flows through a conductor in a magnetic field, resulting in a force.

e.g. motor
    motors drive cars and we drive on the left

Fleming’s Right Hand Rule
    Used when an external force produces a motion on a conductor in a magnetic field, inducing a current to flow in the conductor.

e.g. generator/dynamo

Other Right Hand Rule
    Point thumb in direction of current; fingers show direction of magnetic field.

You get a “thumbs up” when you are right!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.