Telling university about mental illness?

Watch
MozForever
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I am going to university in September, and I was wondering if I should tell the university about having OCD. The thing is, I don't want to claim disability loans or anything, as I can't think of any reason why I would need extra expenses. However, things like my own room (especially my own bathroom) would be really really helpful - for me getting ready for bed can take hours and is usually the time when I am most stressed/anxious. But I am worried that it will sound like I am just using OCD as an excuse to get better accommodation. I know I don't need it as much as someone who has a more severe problem, but at the same time I know it would really help me. Would I need an updated doctor's note? (I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and discharged from CAMHS a year and a half ago). Also, I am now 18, so is the CAMHS stuff still relevant or would I need a new diagnosis from the adult services? Anyone else at uni with OCD? Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much x
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MozForever)
Hi,
I am going to university in September, and I was wondering if I should tell the university about having OCD. The thing is, I don't want to claim disability loans or anything, as I can't think of any reason why I would need extra expenses. However, things like my own room (especially my own bathroom) would be really really helpful - for me getting ready for bed can take hours and is usually the time when I am most stressed/anxious. But I am worried that it will sound like I am just using OCD as an excuse to get better accommodation. I know I don't need it as much as someone who has a more severe problem, but at the same time I know it would really help me. Would I need an updated doctor's note? (I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and discharged from CAMHS a year and a half ago). Also, I am now 18, so is the CAMHS stuff still relevant or would I need a new diagnosis from the adult services? Anyone else at uni with OCD? Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much x
Not too sure myself, but it might be worth checking out the university dean of student website, and see if there's any information on there about these situations. If not, or you have any other questions, if you speak to the dean of students then they may also be able to advise you on what you should do.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MozForever)
Hi,
Look into DSA and talk to your unis student support.
You will need medical eveidence so unless you have written evidence of your previous diagnosis you will need a new note.
DSA gives you vairious support including help with studies and expenses and also with living (so the cost difference between normal and en-suite is often covered).
You will have an assesment in which you will discuss what help is available and what you would be entitled to.

Some examples of support:

I had ocd so needed my own bathroom and also had a thing with numbers. Cost of en-suite was covered by DSA and my accomodation admin was really nice and gave me an even numbered room.

I know somebody who is so scared of germs they need all their own books- DSA covered that.

I also had depression so would sometimes miss lectures cos I was feeling so rough or be late due to rituals. I got a bit of le-way with that past the normal "miss x days and you're out".

I had check ups with a student support person every few weeks to check how i was doing with work and in general too.

Some things your uni will do anyway but most things will need to be paid for by dsa, so apply as soon as you can to avoid any issues with setting it up.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kindred)
Look into DSA and talk to your unis student support.
You will need medical eveidence so unless you have written evidence of your previous diagnosis you will need a new note.
DSA gives you vairious support including help with studies and expenses and also with living (so the cost difference between normal and en-suite is often covered).
You will have an assesment in which you will discuss what help is available and what you would be entitled to.

Some examples of support:

I had ocd so needed my own bathroom and also had a thing with numbers. Cost of en-suite was covered by DSA and my accomodation admin was really nice and gave me an even numbered room.

I know somebody who is so scared of germs they need all their own books- DSA covered that.

I also had depression so would sometimes miss lectures cos I was feeling so rough or be late due to rituals. I got a bit of le-way with that past the normal "miss x days and you're out".

I had check ups with a student support person every few weeks to check how i was doing with work and in general too.

Some things your uni will do anyway but most things will need to be paid for by dsa, so apply as soon as you can to avoid any issues with setting it up.
DSA is the only way you can get exam arrangements too, if you have a long term medical problem.

OP - you don't have to tell uni about your OCD. However, if you don't, they can't make any arrangements you may need.
Minionmum
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will have to get an updated letter from the doctor - ask your unis student support section who will deal with disabilities if they have a template letter,(some unis do ) ,that you can give to your doctor that will help him or her write you a letter containing the information / impact your condition has on you and your studies that student finance will accept - as they will have come across this many times before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads