Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm new to TSR so if I've put this in the wrong place or it's already been discussed sorry.

I'm reading up on extension theory for an upcoming project and came across this...

The transformation of A by $g_{\alpha}$ induces an automorphism in A. We denote the image of an element $a$ of A under the isomorphism by $a^{\alpha}$;

${(g_{\alpha})^{-1}}*a*g_{\alpha} = a^{\alpha}$

Can someone explain why this is the case please?

A is a group and $g_{\alpha}$ are elements of the extension, G, of A by B such that $g_{\alpha}*A\rightarrow \alpha$ is the isomorphism between G/A and B

sorry if this doesn't make much sense. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jalw500)
    Hi,

I'm new to TSR so if I've put this in the wrong place or it's already been discussed sorry.

I'm reading up on extension theory for an upcoming project and came across this...

The transformation of A by $g_{\alpha}$ induces an automorphism in A. We denote the image of an element $a$ of A under the isomorphism by $a^{\alpha}$;

${(g_{\alpha})^{-1}}*a*g_{\alpha} = a^{\alpha}$

A is a group and $g_{\alpha}$ are elements of the extension, G, of A by B such that $g_{\alpha}*A\rightarrow \alpha$ is the isomorphism between G/A and B

sorry if this doesn't make much sense. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    You will get more of a response in the maths forum. Zacken any chance of moving it for the OP?

BTW, studentroom uses "[latex]" tags rather than $ for latex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    You will get more of a response in the maths forum. Zacken any chance of moving it for the OP?

BTW, studentroom uses "[latex]" tags rather than $ for latex.
    Yep, thanks for the tag. Will be moved within an hour, I can't do it myself sincr it's not in study help but I've notified the relevant people. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jalw500)
    The transformation of A by g_{\alpha} induces an automorphism in A. We denote the image of an element a of A under the isomorphism by a^{\alpha};

\displaystyle{(g_{\alpha})^{-1}}*a*g_{\alpha} = a^{\alpha}

A is a group and g_{\alpha} are elements of the extension, G, of A by B such that g_{\alpha}*A\rightarrow \alpha is the isomorphism between G/A and B
    I'm not a group theorist, but until one turns up...

We have the short exact sequence

\displaystyle 1 \rightarrow A \rightarrow G \rightarrow B \rightarrow 1

I think what is happening here is that g_{\alpha} is an element of G such that the coset g_{\alpha}*A is taken to \alpha in B under the canonical isomorphism. (I've not seen that notation for cosets before, so I may be completely off wack here). g_{\alpha} then acts by inner automorphism on A and it is an automorphism because A is a normal subgroup of G.

ReputationRep:
    It's been moved now.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.