Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Didn't get leaving present or a thank-you- while other 'favoured' colleague did Watch

I am literally working my last shift at work in my current job- I'll then be moving to another city where I'll have another job.

Thing is, I've worked this job 8 years- I've given a large amount of my life to the firm- working part time while a student, and then full time for this last year. It isn't an amazing job, its my first ever job.

I've had disagreements with management, and I don't actually like my current boss. She is spiteful, nasty and at times unprofessional. So I guess, in hindsight I should've known this would happen...(getting to point)...

Basically, a large proportion of my workplace haven't even acknowledged me today. Almost like they ignored me-- while they know I resigned-- I just feel a little frustrated, like I didn't mean anything to these people or my boss. I was just a piece of meat to fill a place.

i've the many years and course of my employment, I've met some great people, been friendly, courteous and respectful of others- all the while- facing difficult decisions and in some cases been treated like rubbish.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect a 'thank-you' from my boss, or whatever, and I don't feel ungrateful of anything. Whats more annoying is that last week one other colleague left, she got a massive hamper from management containing expensive products, chocolates, alcohol and other stuff.

I got nothing, (aside from the one card from the caring colleague). They had favourites, and while I approached my work with dignity, respect and humility, other people screwed me over, didn't have manners etc., I did everything to the book.

It feels like in the grand scheme of things, my employment meant nothing. To me it meant everything. I am emotionally connected to this place, as I also live here with family.

Would I be right to assume that this is a reflection on how bad the company is, as opposed to an issue with me?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Workplaces are like that, thoughtless and petty. They are out now. they are probably jealous. At least they didnt get you a crummy present as that would have enraged you more.
    Dont burn bridges. I'd have bought them some drinks. You are off to pastures new , look forward. You will feel well out once the dust has settled. Just say goodbye to the ones you liked and leave it at that. have some beer or treat yourself when you get home.

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's not that big of a deal if it's bad be grateful, leave and get over it

(Original post by Goaded)
    Lol it's not that big of a deal if it's bad be grateful, leave and get over it
    It isn't no, however, when you consider the length of time I've been here and consider the length of time the other colleague was here- its a massive mismatch.

I wouldn't mind-- even a thank you would be nice.

People say the employer doesn't owe me anything. They've paid me a wage, served their purpose. However, a display of common courtesy and respect would've been nice.

Its the sheer ignorance, and *forgetfulness* that gets me really. How can you go all out for one employee- buy them expensive gifts, then a week later *nothing*. Isn't that pretty rude?

I understand what you mean with regards my workplace been bad and particularly toxic, so from this angle, perhaps I shouldn't give a hoot about it.

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling, I worked at a pub for over 8 years, starting when I was 12 and doing a couple of hours here and there, but earlier this year, I got offered a new job, told them about a month or 2 in advance, and instead of trying to find someone to replace me, I had them asking me to stay constantly, it put me in a difficult position. I ended up staying a whole month longer than I had planned because I was waiting for them to get someone to replace me, they weren't even looking. I was there longest ever lasting member of staff, and I'd seen so many people come and go, and many of those we all chipped in a got leaving presents for them, one girl went travelling for 5 months and was coming back, we all chipped in and got her a leaving card and present, but after my 8 years of service, I had nothing, I was so gutted because I felt close to the owners.

(Original post by DW1994)
    I know the feeling, I worked at a pub for over 8 years, starting when I was 12 and doing a couple of hours here and there, but earlier this year, I got offered a new job, told them about a month or 2 in advance, and instead of trying to find someone to replace me, I had them asking me to stay constantly, it put me in a difficult position. I ended up staying a whole month longer than I had planned because I was waiting for them to get someone to replace me, they weren't even looking. I was there longest ever lasting member of staff, and I'd seen so many people come and go, and many of those we all chipped in a got leaving presents for them, one girl went travelling for 5 months and was coming back, we all chipped in and got her a leaving card and present, but after my 8 years of service, I had nothing, I was so gutted because I felt close to the owners.
    This fits my experience to a 'tee'. My former employers couldn't give two hoots about me, so in the end (although I also lived there) I didn't even end up saying goodbye to them-- I just left without left the property without saying anything.

I said goodbye to those who mattered to me, with the large majority not even getting a goodbye. The way I see it is, if they can't be asked than neither can I!

Although I got a box of Jelly Babies from a collection that was put together last minute, it isn't representative of the many years and long hours I put into that place- while other candidates there for less time got well-thought-out gifts.

It isn't fair but nor is life. Anyhow, I now have a job I am happier in for the meantime, and I've moved house. So life is pretty well for me at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    My workplace is pretty similar, the management choose who they wish to give a good send off to.
    However if you and your manager don't get along, you can expect anything imo. However you definitely should have been acknowledged, that's just rude that you didn't. I'd say it's a direct reflection on the personality of the management and not on the company as a whole.
    I hope you have a great time at your new job!

ReputationRep:
    some work places are rude, but where i work at the end of the shift, i do get a "thank you for today" thing - sometimes i feel like saying, it's my job and that's what i get paid for. but i say "no problem" and go home
    some people are shyte tho, you know you've done good - you don't need a compliment to prove that

ReputationRep:
    Don't dwell on things you can't control. Celebrate the fact you won't have to put up with these idiots anymore

ReputationRep:
    at least you're leaving...

these things happen at work, someone forgets or the person who pushed for it last time doesn't know you well etc, it's definitely not something to take personally

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.