Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a long time reader but never posted. I am currently an OU Psychology undergraduate student. Medicine is what I want to get but I choose the OU Psychology as it is a BPS accredited degree unlike the health science degrees that are currently offered by the OU. Also by taking the OU route I do not have to think about childcare.

Although my scores in essays are ok so far 89-95 range. I feel that I will never get graduate medicine as I have been a stay at home mother for the last eight years (I am 27). Also, my A-levels I messed them up so bad I might not as well got out of bed!

If I got the experience (Heath care assistant, volunteering) and re-take the GCSE's along with an access course. Would I ever stand a chance? Or will the eight years at home and messed up the first time on the exams always go against me?I am trying to be realistic about the entire process.

Thank you for reading!

ReputationRep:
    Is your Psychology degree a BSc? What are you predicted to graduate with (classification)?

Most GEM places do not look at your GCSE and A-level results and instead require you to sit admission tests (UKCAT, GAMSAT, BMAT) as an alternative. If you graduate your current degree with a 2.1 you would be in as strong a position as many other GEM candidates, as long as you get the relevant work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    Is your Psychology degree a BSc? What are you predicted to graduate with (classification)?

Most GEM places do not look at your GCSE and A-level results and instead require you to sit admission tests (UKCAT, GAMSAT, BMAT) as an alternative. If you graduate your current degree with a 2.1 you would be in as strong a position as many other GEM candidates, as long as you get the relevant work experience.
    Hi,
    Yes the Psychology is a BSc. As I am a year one student I cannot tell yet! What my overall degree classification will be but the aim is a 2.1.

My worry is they will look at the "break" I had and immediately dismiss my application. I will try everything to get to the goal!

Thank you for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    GEM is open to people of all ages, many of whom have been away from education for over a decade. As long as you can explain your decisions and circumstances in interview where required I don't see a problem.

The importance lies in your degree qualification, your entrance exam results, your work experience and what you have learnt from it, and your interview. These are they key factors in a decision being made on your application.

ReputationRep:
    Your eight years being a mother aren't likely to count against you, particularly for GEM courses. They will want to see evidence of recent study but you will have that without too much difficulty. Although I don't think your circumstances will count against you, GEM is still competitive and you will want to do everything possible (2.1+, varied work experience, volunteering, etc) that you can do to maximise your chances. You're not in a weaker position that anyone else, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.