Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Me and my most recent boyfriend split literally about a week ago. He had started to fade out before this and we were arguing a lot but he would not end it. Eventually he told me he was confused and didn't know what he wanted, he wasn't sure he wanted a serious relationship and wanted to focus on work. So we agreed to break up... His birthday is in a couple of days, do I say happy birthday? Quite frankly i'm still angry but does it look horrible not to say anything?

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say without knowing the ins and outs of the terms of the break up and your relationship together as folk.

Just imagine if you were him would you want you to wish you happy birthday? would it annoy him, make it him less of you, or would it just make him smile once in his day? Based on that you know your answer.

ReputationRep:
    I was invited to an ex's birthday this February and I declined.
    Saying Happy Birthday or even paying attention to anything in his life could look like you want to get back with him so I wouldn't play with those emotions.

ReputationRep:
    You should

ReputationRep:
    No there's no reason to say happy birthday it looks pathetic on your part. I don't see the logic in saying anything to someone you just broke up with.

And he ended things with you so I doubt he would care for a happy birthday what's that going to do him...Send him a gift if you want to be useful.

did he wish you on your birthday?

ReputationRep:
    What for?? No need to do that.

(Original post by xobeauty)
    No there's no reason to say happy birthday it looks pathetic on your part. I don't see the logic in saying anything to someone you just broke up with.
    I agree with this 100%.

OP, this isn't even a question, please just don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do it - it shows a level of maturity. You both agreed to break up -according to what you said- so it wasn't like it ended in a huge fight.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Dont think it makes a difference either way, but if you feel annoyed, then leave it and spend the money for any present on yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should.

Me and my ex broke up (mutual) and it was my birthday about a month and a half after and he didn't wish me happy birthday and it really upset me. It made me feel like all the time we spent together suddenly didn't mean anything anymore.

I do see the point of people saying you shouldn't but you don't have to go into detail or get into a conversation, just wish him happy birthday and a good day and leave it there. Just don't feel disappointed if he doesn't reply.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.