Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is my first time post, not sure if this is the right forum for this topic or not.So, basically, I am going to study at L'boro in September doing industrial design. I got in last year and deferred my place until this September.In essence, I'm worried about whether I'm good enough to do the course. My main concern is that my sketching ability is not fantastic, its good, however not very consistent, requiring a LOT of pressure, stress and time to produce a sketch that I'm happy with. When I see work done by students at L'boro doing the course, I'm terrified- their stuff is fantastic. Basically i'd like to know what to expect when arriving in September- should I be worried? Or are the tutors understanding and do they help you to improve your sketching- or do they expect you to be at a very high level already? Maybe I am just worrying too much- as the more reasonable side to me says that if I was good enough to get the grades and be successful in the interview process, then I should I be fine.Any and all responses would be much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just remember nothing changes by worrying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkfitz)
    Hi, this is my first time post, not sure if this is the right forum for this topic or not.So, basically, I am going to study at L'boro in September doing industrial design. I got in last year and deferred my place until this September.In essence, I'm worried about whether I'm good enough to do the course. My main concern is that my sketching ability is not fantastic, its good, however not very consistent, requiring a LOT of pressure, stress and time to produce a sketch that I'm happy with. When I see work done by students at L'boro doing the course, I'm terrified- their stuff is fantastic. Basically i'd like to know what to expect when arriving in September- should I be worried? Or are the tutors understanding and do they help you to improve your sketching- or do they expect you to be at a very high level already? Maybe I am just worrying too much- as the more reasonable side to me says that if I was good enough to get the grades and be successful in the interview process, then I should I be fine.Any and all responses would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Loughborough Design students are of very high caliber. A good friend of mine, while still in high school, was nominated as one of the "50 designers to watch" by a famous design magazine. However, if you got an offer, the university thinks you are good enough! Don't worry, university is there to improve your skills. And our university is amazing when it comes to student life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summit)
    Loughborough Design students are of very high caliber. A good friend of mine, while still in high school, was nominated as one of the "50 designers to watch" by a famous design magazine. However, if you got an offer, the university thinks you are good enough! Don't worry, university is there to improve your skills. And our university is amazing when it comes to student life!
    thanks for the response, thats put my mind at ease. So are you doing the course? If so what should I expect?Thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the response, thats put my mind at ease. So are you doing the course? If so what should I expect?Thanks
    I am not, I am doing Engineering. One of my flatmates is on the course, and I can tell you that the workload is fundamentally different to other courses. On most courses the workload tends to be the most in the few weeks leading to exams. However on most courses in the Design School, the workload is constant across the duration of the degree, because you guys have no exams. The Design School is AMAZING, has world class facilities, including a 24/7 computer lab, and I often go there to revise. I took a module in Product Design and as far as I can tell, the teaching is of very high standard as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summit)
    I am not, I am doing Engineering. One of my flatmates is on the course, and I can tell you that the workload is fundamentally different to other courses. On most courses the workload tends to be the most in the few weeks leading to exams. However on most courses in the Design School, the workload is constant across the duration of the degree, because you guys have no exams. The Design School is AMAZING, has world class facilities, including a 24/7 computer lab, and I often go there to revise. I took a module in Product Design and as far as I can tell, the teaching is of very high standard as well.
    Yeah I've seen from other places that the workload seems to be insane, but I'm ok with that. Very excited now.

ReputationRep:
    I firmed a conditional choice to study Industrial Design at Loughborough in September. The standard of work on display in the Design School is very overwhelming and completely made me question whether I was good enough for the course which made the interview nerves even worse, but nevertheless I got the offer. I would say I am okay at drawing, it just takes me a very long time to produce what should be a quick sketch which worries me a lot. I think everybody starting in September is going to feel somewhat out of place in such a good Design School, you're not on your own.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JHafodJ)
    I firmed a conditional choice to study Industrial Design at Loughborough in September. The standard of work on display in the Design School is very overwhelming and completely made me question whether I was good enough for the course which made the interview nerves even worse, but nevertheless I got the offer. I would say I am okay at drawing, it just takes me a very long time to produce what should be a quick sketch which worries me a lot. I think everybody starting in September is going to feel somewhat out of place in such a good Design School, you're not on your own.
    Hi mkfitz and JHafodJ

Great to hear that you've both chosen Loughborough

We're really pleased to hear that you loved the Design School when you visited. While we understand that starting a new course can be pretty daunting, you can both rest assured that if you've had an offer from us, we totally believe in your ability! Everyone begins the course with different strengths and levels of experience. The focus in first year is making sure that everyone is on the same page - although it's important to remember that everyone works differently - and to lay the foundations for the rest of the programme.

If you have any specific questions about the course or life at Loughborough more generally, just ask. In the meantime, good luck with the rest of your studies and we look forward to welcoming you in September

Teresa

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.