Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am currently working as a TA in reception, this was a massive career change for me, I used to be a sales manager and hated every minute of it. At the grand old age of 35, I have finally decided on my career path! I desperately want to teach, preferably KS1 , I have the correct GCSE grades, but that is about it!
    Am I correct in thinking my next step is to get a levels so that I may get a degree? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Emma

ReputationRep:
    An Access course will probably be a better option for you, though A levels are certainly an option worth considering. Your local FE college will probably offer access courses, either part time (2 years) or full time (1 year).

ReputationRep:
    Think carefully before doing an access course. Life experience and work experience count for a lot when applying for university.
    Get experience as a TA then apply to do a teaching degree. You can complete one part time depending on what universities you are near.
    Obviously you would need an interview and written test. But I completed mine whilst working without doing an access course first or gaining A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydra234)
    Hi there,

I am currently working as a TA in reception, this was a massive career change for me, I used to be a sales manager and hated every minute of it. At the grand old age of 35, I have finally decided on my career path! I desperately want to teach, preferably KS1 , I have the correct GCSE grades, but that is about it!
    Am I correct in thinking my next step is to get a levels so that I may get a degree? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Emma
    This is the official government website, which explains the various routes into teaching, depending on your current level of qualifications:
    https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.