Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. So I'm doing FMSQ and I need serious help. I'm at the point where I have an internal breakdown every time I hear the words.
    I've been going through past papers and trying to answer questions and I literally can't do most of them. Does anyone know any books/website or any resource that I could use that explains the topics because I definately need it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm attempting to do further maths s too but i don't understand anything.when the teacher goes through it I get it but when I try and go back to revise it or do a past paper on it, it makes literally no sense. We've been given a textbook that kinda helps called Additional mathematics. But other than that I'm lost too 😖

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnonymousLife)
    Hey. So I'm doing FMSQ and I need serious help. I'm at the point where I have an internal breakdown every time I hear the words.
    I've been going through past papers and trying to answer questions and I literally can't do most of them. Does anyone know any books/website or any resource that I could use that explains the topics because I definately need it.
    Thanks
    Just a note, schools enter pupils who are good at maths (or when I did it, already got an A grade or above in Year 10, so we did the FSMQ in Year 11) so props to you already fkr even getting the chance to do it.
    The FSMQ is nothing to worry about - if yiu get a goood grade, yay, if not then nobody asks about it anyway as it's not a GCSE or A Level.
    Take for example me, I did the FSMQ 2 years ago and got a U , I am now doing A Level Maths on track to get an A* with 100% in C1 and 96% in C2.
    So it's honestly not the be all end all.
    Anywho, I believe in you :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    What do you need explaining. I'm doing Further Maths AQA @ Year 11 right now, I can explain anything

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats literally exactly the same with me. I'll get it in class but when I try at home I cant seem to get my head round it. 😕

ReputationRep:
    Theres a question on integration I've been stuck on...

a. Find the area enclosed between the curve y=8x^3, the x-axis and the line x=2

b. Hence, or otherwise, deduce the area between the x-axis, the y-axis, the line x=2 and the curve y=8x^3 + 5

I sorta get part a but I'm I have no clue about b 😦

ReputationRep:
    Ah AQA specification doesn't have integration, I'm sorry

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats really good 😀. I'm doing A Level Maths next year so hopefully I'll find it slightly easier as I've done additional.
    I'm trying not to give it too much thought as I still have all my other subjects to worry about
    Thank you though

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha thats okay.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the same as the "aqa certificate in further mathematics" which has an A^ grade which is higher than the A*. If so I am doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunjo)
    Ah AQA specification doesn't have integration, I'm sorry
    Hey I do the AQA spec, since you're really confident with it, how did you learn/revise it excluding teaching from the school? Did u look at tutorials etc etc

ReputationRep:

b. Hence, or otherwise, deduce the area between the x-axis, the y-axis, the line x=2 and the curve y=8x^3 + 5

What have you tried so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilshark)
    Hey I do the AQA spec, since you're really confident with it, how did you learn/revise it excluding teaching from the school? Did u look at tutorials etc etc
    Hours and Hours of past papers over and over again

ReputationRep:

Think about what will happen to the 5 when its integrated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would it become 10 and then you would add it to the answer in part a

ReputationRep:
    Would it become 10 and then you would add it to the answer in part a
    Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, cool thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Just don't bother with it. Some people just aren't smart enough, I know about 15 people with A*s in GCSE Maths in Year 10 that got U's in FSMQ Additional Maths. It's not worth your time, your actual GCSE's are. I was able to get to an A with a couple weeks of revision so it really is one of those things some people just can't cope with. It's not that important tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.