TheAnonymousLife
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey. So I'm doing FMSQ and I need serious help. I'm at the point where I have an internal breakdown every time I hear the words.
I've been going through past papers and trying to answer questions and I literally can't do most of them. Does anyone know any books/website or any resource that I could use that explains the topics because I definately need it.
Thanks
¥niamh¥
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I'm attempting to do further maths s too but i don't understand anything.when the teacher goes through it I get it but when I try and go back to revise it or do a past paper on it, it makes literally no sense. We've been given a textbook that kinda helps called Additional mathematics. But other than that I'm lost too 😖
KaylaB
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheAnonymousLife)
Hey. So I'm doing FMSQ and I need serious help. I'm at the point where I have an internal breakdown every time I hear the words.
I've been going through past papers and trying to answer questions and I literally can't do most of them. Does anyone know any books/website or any resource that I could use that explains the topics because I definately need it.
Thanks
Just a note, schools enter pupils who are good at maths (or when I did it, already got an A grade or above in Year 10, so we did the FSMQ in Year 11) so props to you already fkr even getting the chance to do it.
The FSMQ is nothing to worry about - if yiu get a goood grade, yay, if not then nobody asks about it anyway as it's not a GCSE or A Level.
Take for example me, I did the FSMQ 2 years ago and got a U , I am now doing A Level Maths on track to get an A* with 100% in C1 and 96% in C2.
So it's honestly not the be all end all.
Anywho, I believe in you :lovehug:
Gunjo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you need explaining. I'm doing Further Maths AQA @ Year 11 right now, I can explain anything
TheAnonymousLife
Rep:
?
Yeah thats literally exactly the same with me. I'll get it in class but when I try at home I cant seem to get my head round it. 😕
TheAnonymousLife
Rep:
?
Theres a question on integration I've been stuck on...

a. Find the area enclosed between the curve y=8x^3, the x-axis and the line x=2

b. Hence, or otherwise, deduce the area between the x-axis, the y-axis, the line x=2 and the curve y=8x^3 + 5

I sorta get part a but I'm I have no clue about b 😦
Gunjo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah AQA specification doesn't have integration, I'm sorry
TheAnonymousLife
Rep:
?
Wow thats really good 😀. I'm doing A Level Maths next year so hopefully I'll find it slightly easier as I've done additional.
I'm trying not to give it too much thought as I still have all my other subjects to worry about
Thank you though
TheAnonymousLife
Rep:
?
Hahaha thats okay.
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this the same as the "aqa certificate in further mathematics" which has an A^ grade which is higher than the A*. If so I am doing that.
username2219677
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Gunjo)
Ah AQA specification doesn't have integration, I'm sorry
Hey I do the AQA spec, since you're really confident with it, how did you learn/revise it excluding teaching from the school? Did u look at tutorials etc etc
16Characters....
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

b. Hence, or otherwise, deduce the area between the x-axis, the y-axis, the line x=2 and the curve y=8x^3 + 5

What have you tried so far?
Gunjo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Username3097486)
Hey I do the AQA spec, since you're really confident with it, how did you learn/revise it excluding teaching from the school? Did u look at tutorials etc etc
Hours and Hours of past papers over and over again
drandy76
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Think about what will happen to the 5 when its integrated

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheAnonymousLife
Rep:
?
Would it become 10 and then you would add it to the answer in part a
drandy76
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would it become 10 and then you would add it to the answer in part a
Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheAnonymousLife
Rep:
?
Okay, cool thanks
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks
Just don't bother with it. Some people just aren't smart enough, I know about 15 people with A*s in GCSE Maths in Year 10 that got U's in FSMQ Additional Maths. It's not worth your time, your actual GCSE's are. I was able to get to an A with a couple weeks of revision so it really is one of those things some people just can't cope with. It's not that important tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (45)
5.89%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.47%
Lack of purpose or motivation (98)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.63%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (83)
10.86%
Financial worries (51)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (33)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.28%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.42%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise