Turn on thread page Beta

Extra reading?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im a bit confused by this. Frankly i should have started earlier than now but im incredibally lazy, anyhow i have som books on medical history, som books on chinese medicine (im really interested in these) and som current issue things. But wot would be som books that i could read to expand my knowledge more 9i.e. som basic medical books), should i get som 1st year med books and just glance ova them??

Any ideas??

Thanx

Huz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    Im a bit confused by this. Frankly i should have started earlier than now but im incredibally lazy, anyhow i have som books on medical history, som books on chinese medicine (im really interested in these) and som current issue things. But wot would be som books that i could read to expand my knowledge more 9i.e. som basic medical books), should i get som 1st year med books and just glance ova them??

Any ideas??

Thanx

Huz
    I can't remember what stage you're at. Are you talking about preparatory reading before starting your first year, or about stuff to read before interviews?

NOT first year medical books for starters; they vary between universities hugely, and won't be of much use (plus will be massively expensive).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    NOT first year medical books for starters; they vary between universities hugely, and won't be of much use (plus will be massively expensive).
    I think that goes for most subjects, don't bother with textbooks until you get there; they'll only confuse you.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what stage you're at. Are you talking about preparatory reading before starting your first year, or about stuff to read before interviews?

Sorry for not explaining clearly enough... i mean for interview

ReputationRep:
    Try and get your hands on some recent BMJ's (British Medical Journals) - they are a help with finding out about current issues in the profession. I wouldn't bother looking at any textbooks just yet, too much expense, plus things may be taught slightly differently on your course.

ReputationRep:
    BBC health is usually sufficient!

Jeep it simple. Trying to look the big 'I am' at interview with regards to extra reading can get you into trouble, especially if you start waffling about something one of your interviewers works on... I've heard horror stories of that happening before.

ReputationRep:
    PS - anyone read the artical in the SBMJ about grave robbing :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    Sorry for not explaining clearly enough... i mean for interview
    In which case, no, don't read first year stuff as there'd be no point at all. You might want to read a few books about what being a doctor is like - "Bodies" by Jed Mercurio is great, although perhaps not one you'd want to mention in interview!

Student BMJ might not be a bad idea. I really should get round to subscribing

ReputationRep:
    Student BMJ might not be a bad idea. I really should get round to subscribing
    Meh! Read it for free electronically - you don't get the special editions, but heh! Cheap is nice

ReputationRep:
    i'll be starting med at kings (hopefully) this sept..anyone recommend any 1st year textbooks?? im in malaysia and books here are really cheap! even cheaper than 2nd hand books in the UK.

so far i have Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine and Kumar & Clarke on my list...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    i'll be starting med at kings (hopefully) this sept..anyone recommend any 1st year textbooks?? im in malaysia and books here are really cheap! even cheaper than 2nd hand books in the UK.

so far i have Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine and Kumar & Clarke on my list...
    I would contact GKT, to see if you can get hold of their reading list. Explain why you need it. I would also see if you can find out how many copies of each core text they have in their libraries. Nothing worse than coughing up for a text book that you don't like when there's always a free copy in the library.

there are a few peeps from GKT on the medicine based forums who might be able to point you in the right direction.

HtH

Fx

Ps I thin KandC is a must, but opinion seems to vary as to whether the mini is sufficient or whether one should go big

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I would contact GKT, to see if you can get hold of their reading list. Explain why you need it. I would also see if you can find out how many copies of each core text they have in their libraries. Nothing worse than coughing up for a text book that you don't like when there's always a free copy in the library.

there are a few peeps from GKT on the medicine based forums who might be able to point you in the right direction.

HtH

Fx

Ps I thin KandC is a must, but opinion seems to vary as to whether the mini is sufficient or whether one should go big
    Thank you very much!!
    i've e-mailed GKT but they take ages to reply! :rolleyes: oh well!

ReputationRep:
    yea i thought about getting some books to read over the summer before uni...but they are v.expensive! ive just organised voluntary work in my local hospital over summer tho!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.