Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently finishing my studies on Electronic and Computer Engineering, and I'm looking for a University to start a MSc course in Advanced Computer Science or in Software Engineering. I have found a few, but I can't tell which is better because every ranking table has different rankings.

I am considering the Universities of:

St. Andrews
    Birmingham
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    Surrey
    Glasgow
    Durham
    Warwick
    Lancaster
    Bath
    Kent

Which of them is considered the best? Also, any other suggestions are more than welcome. I mostly look for Universities out of London, due to the high costs. My undergraduate studies lasted 5 years, so my degree is the equivalent to a MEng, with a grade a little over 8/10. Do you think I am going to be accepted from these Universities?

Thanks for your help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    www.Thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk

Should give you more info.
    But I think st-Andrews or Bath are the Best.(this is my view)

(Original post by nkorompos)
    Hello,

I am currently finishing my studies on Electronic and Computer Engineering, and I'm looking for a University to start a MSc course in Advanced Computer Science or in Software Engineering. I have found a few, but I can't tell which is better because every ranking table has different rankings.

I am considering the Universities of:

St. Andrews
    Birmingham
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    Surrey
    Glasgow
    Durham
    Warwick
    Lancaster
    Bath
    Kent

Which of them is considered the best? Also, any other suggestions are more than welcome. I mostly look for Universities out of London, due to the high costs. My undergraduate studies lasted 5 years, so my degree is the equivalent to a MEng, with a grade a little over 8/10. Do you think I am going to be accepted from these Universities?

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Take a look at Edinburgh Uni's informatic department. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mature student with a decade it System support, and I'm going to re-train as a Software Engineer this year (just far more jobs in that field that I'm interested in).

And now to tell you the big secret.... Employers generally don't care where you're degree or masters (or even PhD) came from usually. Maybe if it's from Oxbridge or an Ivy League College it might open a few more doors, but for most people it's a box ticking exercise e.g. if a job requires you to have a Masters in CS, and you have one, box ticked. That is the last time anyone will mention your masters during the whole recruitment process.

Employers generally care about what you have actually done (real world projects you've worked on, any voluntary work) and the type of person you are rather than what University you went to.

Then again, if you want to stay in academia, maybe the uni you go to is more important. I've noticed that people who do PhD's often do a masters at the same uni before hand. I guess the staff get to know you and the quality of your work, and you have a better chance at getting in to do a PhD in a uni you've studied at before IMO.

Getting down to the brass tacks, if you will, I went to Birmingham's open day. It's probably a little cheaper compared to the likes of St Andrews (it'll be about 2 grand saved in tuition alone), so bear that it mind. It has a good rep for CS (in the top 10 for CS in pretty much every ranking table) for what that's worth. Just be careful as they offer a MSc CS and an MSc Advanced CS. The latter is a conversion masters for non-IT grads, while the latter is probably what you are looking for.

I know a guy finishing his PhD in CS at Southampton. He said although it has a great rep for CS, it's not what it use to be.

What I recommend to anyone is this: Go to Linkedin (you really should be on it) and search for people who studied the courses you are interested in at the uni you are considering. Connect with them and ask them honestly about their experiences. I've done that for a few Masters and you get great feedback.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.