Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently holding an offer to study economics at King's starting this October. Is there any place where I would be able to find sample worksheets to get an idea of what it is like to study the subject at Cambridge; e.g. the types of problems and level of difficulty. I already have some experience with studying economics at university and I think comparing my current studies to Cambridge would give me a good idea of what I am getting in for.

If anyone has any useful resources, thanks in advance!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by eniet)
    I'm currently holding an offer to study economics at King's starting this October. Is there any place where I would be able to find sample worksheets to get an idea of what it is like to study the subject at Cambridge; e.g. the types of problems and level of difficulty. I already have some experience with studying economics at university and I think comparing my current studies to Cambridge would give me a good idea of what I am getting in for.

I suspect they are hidden behind Raven.

Maybe Colmans has some?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I suspect they are hidden behind Raven.

Maybe Colmans has some?

(Original post by eniet)

I know you can access the reading list for year 1, and was told that I should be using it post AS exams and over the summer.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I know you can access the reading list for year 1, and was told that I should be using it post AS exams and over the summer.
    Welll yes the reading list is available

http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/list.html

And course overview
    http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/outlines.html

And OP could always email their DoS if they want anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I have taken a look at the subject pages / reading lists. The problem with those is that knowing the topics of a given course doesn't tell much about the level of analysis undertaken.

As an example, consider the Microeconomics paper with Varian's Intermediate Microeconomics. I happen to be currently taking a microeconomics course at a university and we use the book in our class. However, we usually omit the mathematical appendices (a more mathematically rigorous treatment of a chapter's material) and focus on applying the models to solve simple economic problems (e.g. calculating the compensating variation for a simple model or calculating the equilibrium situation in an oligopoly). But I could easily imagine the Cambridge course being more demanding by analysing more general situations or considering more complex situations. Without seeing sample problems used in the course it is hard to know.

The reason I asked for sample papers is because I know that some departments offer them publicly. Here for example you can find sample worksheets for all of the courses in the mathematics tripos.

jneill Do you know if e-mailing ones DoS / making this type of request is appropriate as an offer holder? Is there any policy regarding this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by eniet)
    jneill Do you know if e-mailing ones DoS / making this type of request is appropriate as an offer holder? Is there any policy regarding this?
    They will soon tell you if they don't want to hear from you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.