Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats your opinion on the British Justice system? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most people seem to think its a joke. Do you think its too soft?

ReputationRep:
    Reading my local paper sums up the state of it. Someone fishing without a license gets fined 2x what the drink drivers get. How can the former possibly be worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Reading my local paper sums up the state of it. Someone fishing without a license gets fined 2x what the drink drivers get. How can the former possibly be worse?
    Because he's taking away LIVES. Maybe that why its worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatguy 501)
    Because he's taking away LIVES. Maybe that why its worse?
    Nice try.

I'll elaborate, he was at a carp fishing lake. Carp fishing is a catch and release sport in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Nice try.

I'll elaborate, he was at a carp fishing lake. Carp fishing is a catch and release sport in the UK.
    Well you didn't make that clear in your op.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It makes no sense at all. Reading the local paper, you only get a fine for beating someone up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really trust papers but some of the sentences for violent offenders are quite clearly a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatguy 502)
    Well you didn't make that clear in your op.
    Damn you got banned quick.

Do they permanently employ someone to track you?

ReputationRep:
    Damn you got banned quick.

Do they permanently employ someone to track you?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It makes no sense at all. Reading the local paper, you only get a fine for beating someone up.
    It depends how serious hurt the other is.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tintin10)
    Most people seem to think its a joke. Do you think its too soft?
    Generally speaking i think that what is deemed legal and illegal is correct however our sentencing laws are completely out of whack and are both too harsh and too soft.

So in terms of being too soft we have instances like Muslims raping girls and being given suspended sentences because of cultural reasons for example. In terms of being too harsh we allow prison sentences for non payment of fines or drug abuse despite the fact that while illegal and stupid, the people committing the crime are not really a danger to others (therefore a fine and a criminal record are much better punishments than wasting money on them in prison).

ReputationRep:
    Well compare to the South African justice system I can't complain. Most major crimes are solved, and offenders of serious offences put behind bars. Sentencing seems to be an issue though. My main fault is that, in common with many justice systems, it seems too concerned with small fry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.