Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Howdy .
    Can patterned sequences be geometric? I can only seem to find arithmetic ones when looking at past exam questions.

I've attached a copy of what I'm looking at.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 19.35.02.png
Views: 101
Size:  42.1 KB

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo55)
    Howdy .
    Can patterned sequences be geometric?
    Yes they can. Imagine a question that is broadly as follows: you are given (and drawn) a chocolate bar. You have n friends, each friend eats half of whatever the current chocolate size is. This forms a geometric series, find the size at person n (sequence) how much of the chocolate has been eaten at person 5 (sum), etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yes they can. Imagine a question that is broadly as follows: you are given (and drawn) a chocolate bar. You have n friends, each friend eats half of whatever the current chocolate size is. This forms a geometric series, find the size at person n (sequence) how much of the chocolate has been eaten at person 5 (sum), etc...
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo55)
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up .
    Make sure you know both when you're going into the exam!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you know both when you're going into the exam!
    isn't this C1 and C2 stuff? or is this just a basic GCSE understanding of what they are????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    isn't this C1 and C2 stuff? or is this just a basic GCSE understanding of what they are????
    C2 and C2 stuff is a basic GCSE understanding of what they are though. I don't see the difference?

ReputationRep:
    C2 and C2 stuff is a basic GCSE understanding of what they are though. I don't see the difference?
    oh right in GCSE i just added numbers and multiplied xD

in C2 we learn some formulas for sequences and nth term formulas too?

ReputationRep:
    oh right in GCSE i just added numbers and multiplied xD

in C2 we learn some formulas for sequences and nth term formulas too?
    All of which can be derived by adding number and multiplying, no?

ReputationRep:
    All of which can be derived by adding number and multiplying, no?
    hmmm adding deciding rearranging, yea pretty much probably 1 or 2 new things like recurrence relations(why + how do i even remember this)

ReputationRep:
    hmmm adding deciding rearranging, yea pretty much probably 1 or 2 new things like recurrence relations(why + how do i even remember this)
    Yeah, fair enough. I remember when I was preparing for C1/2, I didn't really bother learning arithmetic and geometric sequences and series beyond proving their formulas in the booklet. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fair enough. I remember when I was preparing for C1/2, I didn't really bother learning arithmetic and geometric sequences and series beyond proving their formulas in the booklet. :lol:
    oh yea that's annoying, you do have to prove them >.>

ReputationRep:
    oh yea that's annoying, you do have to prove them >.>
    It's not annoying. If you understand something, you should be able to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not annoying. If you understand something, you should be able to prove it.
    i remember i dropped 4 marks bc i forgot how to prove this stuff *cries

but now i know i will never ever forget that until after my c1 and c2 exams

ReputationRep:
    i remember i dropped 4 marks bc i forgot how to prove this stuff *cries

but now i know i will never ever forget that until after my c1 and c2 exams
    You don't "forget'" or "remember" proofs, though. I certainly don't remember much, if any, proofs off the top of my head but I can usually run with the idea and come up with it on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    You don't "forget'" or "remember" proofs, though. I certainly don't remember much, if any, proofs off the top of my head but I can usually run with the idea and come up with it on the spot.
    with me if you can forget it you will but you will also remember the most useless things you probably never needed to know again till you're in uni

ReputationRep:
    with me if you can forget it you will but you will also remember the most useless things you probably never needed to know again till you're in uni
    Fair enough. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. :rofl:
    it really sucks having memory like mine, >.> all these common philosophers my mind just decides nope you won't remember what they did but that one philosopher who refuted 1 thing against this theory? yup you can remember what he said and what examples he used >.> it sucks so much, i put plenty of work in though..

ReputationRep:
    it really sucks having memory like mine, >.> all these common philosophers my mind just decides nope you won't remember what they did but that one philosopher who refuted 1 thing against this theory? yup you can remember what he said and what examples he used >.> it sucks so much, i put plenty of work in though..
    FWIW, I have a crappy memory too - you don't really need a good one for maths. :-)

ReputationRep:
    FWIW, I have a crappy memory too - you don't really need a good one for maths. :-)
    I think for everything, whether Economics, Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics - understanding is vital. Being able to make-out and derive the meaning behind something is much more rewarding than just remembering it.

We have a whole lot of readers nowadays, but too few people understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    I think for everything, whether Economics, Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics - understanding is vital. Being able to make-out and derive the meaning behind something is much more rewarding than just remembering it.

We have a whole lot of readers nowadays, but too few people understand.
    I agree enormously.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.