Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Things I have noticed about cycling

You save a lot of energy if you direct your drive to the inside of the pedal closest to the crankarm.

So much energy is saved if tyres are the proper pressure.

Hills must be attacked, flats must be cruised and downhills are for rests.

Wearing a helmet makes you cycle better as you allow yourself to drive fast when you'd otherwise have been cautious. It also makes mums smile when they see you and sets a good example for the younglings.

Listening to the radio or some other music allows you to stop worrying about being run over.

Lights are important. You almost certainly will die if you cycle without them at night regularly.

ReputationRep:
    ive noticed cleats and lycra are pointless.

manz pinging around london in my adidas creps and slim jeans.

putting these try hard wannabe pros to shame.

although i am on a quest to be a pro myself.

it's mad. it's mad.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think anyone cycling properly (read: more than a meander to the shop) should have headphones in, if you're on proper roads and trying to keep a decent speed you need to be properly aware of what's going on around you and while if it's windy you probably won't hear any more with them out, having music blaring MUST be distracting and I'd bet it increases your reaction time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I really don't think anyone cycling properly (read: more than a meander to the shop) should have headphones in, if you're on proper roads and trying to keep a decent speed you need to be properly aware of what's going on around you and while if it's windy you probably won't hear any more with them out, having music blaring MUST be distracting and I'd bet it increases your reaction time.
    Cars have a duty to go around you. There's not much you can do if you're gonna get hit, so I figured I'd rather be listening to a sick tune before I meet my maker than worrying about the car. Also there's nothing to react to on a road, just gotta chug on in a straight line (and make sure you're on the correct side )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Cars have a duty to go around you. There's not much you can do if you're gonna get hit, so I figured I'd rather be listening to a sick tune before I meet my maker than worrying about the car. Also there's nothing to react to on a road, just gotta chug on in a straight line (and make sure you're on the correct side )
    have you been outside? there's cars turning, animals running out, pedestrians not paying attention, detritus/glass on the road, oil on the road, massive potholes... there's plenty to react to

fair enough but I think if you're paying proper attention you may be able to avoid an accident and go home and listen to a 'sick tune'

ReputationRep:
    have you been outside? there's cars turning, animals running out, pedestrians not paying attention, detritus/glass on the road, oil on the road, massive potholes... there's plenty to react to

fair enough but I think if you're paying proper attention you may be able to avoid an accident and go home and listen to a 'sick tune'
    why are you acting like you know my journey better than me?

ReputationRep:
    So I presume you never listen to the radio in the car? After all, with that on you can't hear anything around you.

I listen to music when cycling - otherwise I'd be bored out of my mind. But I only ever put in the 'pavement side' headphone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Drewski)
    So I presume you never listen to the radio in the car? After all, with that on you can't hear anything around you.

I listen to music when cycling - otherwise I'd be bored out of my mind. But I only ever put in the 'pavement side' headphone.
    Yes but at the same time, as a cyclist, you are a mere twig compared to a car. Whilst a car has mirrors and you tend to drive without hearing stuff most of the time. It's not directly comparable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Yes but at the same time, as a cyclist, you are a mere twig compared to a car. Whilst a car has mirrors and you tend to drive without hearing stuff most of the time. It's not directly comparable
    It's not.

But at the same time suggesting your situational awareness is compromised because of a bit of music is also somewhat spurious.

ReputationRep:
    Also, regarding music, you can't hear jack-**** because of the wind without them??? Lol. Doodle has never been outside and definitely never been on a bike. Poser.

ReputationRep:
    so wag1 with deaf people.

are they not allowed to drive or cycle on the roads? they are. so leave it out mate.

music just gets you so ****ing pumped. i always look over my shoulder when overtaking and look behind me frequently too see what's there. always looking ahead and reading the road. it's really simple.

my motto is to ride your bike like you're in a car. simple as that really. music makes it so much better.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.