The Student Room Group

Let's have a chit chat :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
I think my plan for standing out is to do most of it freelance and attempt to do it a lot myself. I want to do script writing, enjoyed Drama and acting at school but decided that I love writing. I also film too so I want to be an independent film producer too. A lot of people doing media degrees think it helps with getting a job in that industry but actually they are really wrong, the job prospects can be low purely because they want someone in a more academic background like Law/English/History/Politics. I do fancy being a journalist too. But what is funny is that if GEM is around when I graduate hopefully, I would like to do that at St George's.

Damn those are big aspirations (but very possible). I didn't really like GCSE media because it was different to what I thought it was going to be like. Keep going bro and we'll see a new Christopher Nolan soon. :tongue:
Original post by Roxy1331
Right now, not too sure but would want to stay near home. I'll definitely have a better idea when I get my results.
I'm like the only one who actually wants to get away from home. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by champ_mc99
Damn those are big aspirations (but very possible). I didn't really like GCSE media because it was different to what I thought it was going to be like. Keep going bro and we'll see a new Christopher Nolan soon. :tongue:

Spoiler

Haha did you think it was just watching films? Don't worry a lot of people assume that. And thanks "bro". I'm actually a girl haha! :P. Everyone assumes I am a guy.
I know the feeling. I want to go to UCL and KCL but if I don't get the grades then I'm unsure about where to go.

You still have time and I hope you will. And of course it's always good to have back ups. :smile:

Spoiler

A lot of people want to get away. I'm just weak. :tongue:

Spoiler

I think my plan for standing out is to do most of it freelance and attempt to do it a lot myself. I want to do script writing, enjoyed Drama and acting at school but decided that I love writing. I also film too so I want to be an independent film producer too. A lot of people doing media degrees think it helps with getting a job in that industry but actually they are really wrong, the job prospects can be low purely because they want someone in a more academic background like Law/English/History/Politics. I do fancy being a journalist too. But what is funny is that if GEM is around when I graduate hopefully, I would like to do that at St George's.

It sounds like you've got an interesting future ahead of you. Part of me would love to be a journalist. I would like to travel the world and write news stories in another life.

What's a GEM?
Original post by Supersaps
It sounds like you've got an interesting future ahead of you. Part of me would love to be a journalist. I would like to travel the world and write news stories in another life.

What's a GEM?

GEM is Graduate Entry Medicine and allows people with an undergraduate degree to undertake a course in medicine to become a doctor. St George's allows those with non science A Levels to become a doctor too, providing you achieve a 2.1 in any degree. And yes journalism is good, it is interesting and you could become a travel journalist.

Original post by Roxy1331
You still have time and I hope you will. And of course it's always good to have back ups. :smile:

Yeah that is true, I could even change my mind which I do hope not!
Haha did you think it was just watching films? Don't worry a lot of people assume that. And thanks "bro". I'm actually a girl haha! :P. Everyone assumes I am a guy.

Tbh. Yes, just watching films. :tongue:

Sorry about that, your avatar is kinda deceiving. :biggrin:
Tbh. Yes, just watching films. :tongue:

Sorry about that, your avatar is kinda deceiving. :biggrin:

I do apologise, and the only time I watched a film for Media was the first lesson I had for GCSE as I had to analyse it later on. And haha, girls can like Twenty One Pilots too :tongue:
Hallo Hallo :hello:
Original post by Amellia123
Hallo Hallo :hello:

Hey :biggrin: how are you?
Hey :biggrin: how are you?

Hii!! :biggrin: I'm okay thanks - how have you been? :smile:
Hii!! :biggrin: I'm okay thanks - how have you been? :smile:

I'm great thanks. Been revising and been quite bored. You?
GEM is Graduate Entry Medicine and allows people with an undergraduate degree to undertake a course in medicine to become a doctor. St George's allows those with non science A Levels to become a doctor too, providing you achieve a 2.1 in any degree. And yes journalism is good, it is interesting and you could become a travel journalist.

Ahhhh! St George's is the university are applying for...? Or is that the med school you'd perhaps apply to after a degree?
I'm great thanks. Been revising and been quite bored. You?

Aww that's good to hear! :smile: Ahh I was revising earlier (Biology yay) But the boredom was too much :lol: Are you still on holiday or gone back to school now? :smile:
Original post by Supersaps
Ahhhh! St George's is the university are applying for...? Or is that the med school you'd perhaps apply to after a degree?

After my undergraduate but it depends if I end up changing my mind.
Aww that's good to hear! :smile: Ahh I was revising earlier (Biology yay) But the boredom was too much :lol: Are you still on holiday or gone back to school now? :smile:

Haha I'm back on Tuesday but then have exam prep and exams in May. What a joy. Revising is sometimes too boring, I never spend too long on it as I never register it all in.
Haha I'm back on Tuesday but then have exam prep and exams in May. What a joy. Revising is sometimes too boring, I never spend too long on it as I never register it all in.

Haha aww that's lucky - I went back this Monday!! Ahh I see (same here) Yes utter joyous times :tongue: Ikr tell me about it - Biology just makes me want to die of boredom :lol: Same - either that or it gives me a headache!!
Haha aww that's lucky - I went back this Monday!! Ahh I see (same here) Yes utter joyous times :tongue: Ikr tell me about it - Biology just makes me want to die of boredom :lol: Same - either that or it gives me a headache!!

Exams are so fun (said no one ever) but I still prefer them coursework now. And aww that sucks, did you break up before 24th March?
Exams are so fun (said no one ever) but I still prefer them coursework now. And aww that sucks, did you break up before 24th March?

Hahahaha :rofl: When I saw the first bit without the bracket I was like 'omg serious?' :lol: I agree with you there!! And yeah I think we did - those two weeks went too quickly and I hardly did any work...oops....
Hahahaha :rofl: When I saw the first bit without the bracket I was like 'omg serious?' :lol: I agree with you there!! And yeah I think we did - those two weeks went too quickly and I hardly did any work...oops....

I don't think anyone finds exams fun except those who get paid to do them, which sounds like a chore. And aw you guys were lucky, I wish we broke up earlier. I have an essay due in next week and I haven't done much to it and we are supposed to rewrite this essay from a B to an A. No chance.

Quick Reply

Latest