Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Disability Monetary Debt Timebomb watch

• View Poll Results: What should be done about disability benefits?
    Increase them by 100%
    50.00%
    Increase them by 66%
    0%
    Increase them by 33%
    0%
    Disability Benefits don't need to be changed.
    0%
    Cut them by 33%
    0%
    Cut them by 66%
    0%
    Cut them by 100% & Abolish them.
    0%
    I don't know.
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    I highlighted in another thread the most severe disabled people in the UK can cost the taxpayer between £3802 to £22602 per year excluding housing benefit and council tax support.

The question I would like to ask is should we be giving the severe disabled a middle class wage for working just 15 hours a week when a PHD graduate can't even get a decent paying job and ends up being paid far less than £22602 a year?

I've included a simple poll. Be sure to answer it.
    Anyway for further information of the question I am pondering read below.

George Osborne stated that we will be spending around 46 billion on disability benefits annually. This is the highest group of spending in the welfare budget.
    Pensions don't count as welfare.

It is 70% of the amount we spend on the MOD, 50% of what we spend on Education and 33% of what we spend on Healthcare.

To break down the figurers here is what a severe disabled person receives if they work 15 hours a week.

£73.10 ESA Main Rate
    £36.20 ESA Support Group Component.
    £15.75 Enhanced Disabiliity Premium (high rate care PIP/DLA)
    £61.85 Severe Disability Premium(high rate care PIP/DLA)
    £108 Permitted Work Wage (15 hours)
    £82.30 High Rate Care PIP
    £57.45 High Rate Mobility PIP

Total Per Week = £434.65
    Total Per Year = £22601.80

This is a equivalent of a £29,000 yearly wage or £37.20 a hour.

I am disabled myself but I thought I would take off my own shoes and step into the shoes of the young who are earning far less than myself hence my wage is subsidized by a few things above.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Might help if you explain what each benefit is for.
    Of the people on ESA what % get as much as that?
    What sort of disabilities would someone have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I highlighted in another thread the most severe disabled people in the UK can cost the taxpayer between £3802 to £22602 per year excluding housing benefit and council tax support.

The question I would like to ask is should we be giving the severe disabled a middle class wage for working just 15 hours a week when a PHD graduate can't even get a decent paying job and ends up being paid far less than £22602 a year?

I've included a simple poll. Be sure to answer it.
    Anyway for further information of the question I am pondering read below.

George Osborne stated that we will be spending around 46 billion on disability benefits annually. This is the highest group of spending in the welfare budget.
    Pensions don't count as welfare.

It is 70% of the amount we spend on the MOD, 50% of what we spend on Education and 33% of what we spend on Healthcare.

To break down the figurers here is what a severe disabled person receives if they work 15 hours a week.

£73.10 ESA Main Rate
    £36.20 ESA Support Group Component.
    £15.75 Enhanced Disabiliity Premium (high rate care PIP/DLA)
    £61.85 Severe Disability Premium(high rate care PIP/DLA)
    £108 Permitted Work Wage (15 hours)
    £82.30 High Rate Care PIP
    £57.45 High Rate Mobility PIP

Total Per Week = £434.65
    Total Per Year = £22601.80

This is a equivalent of a £29,000 yearly wage or £37.20 a hour.

I am disabled myself but I thought I would take off my own shoes and step into the shoes of the young who are earning far less than myself hence my wage is subsidized by a few things above.
    The chances of this amount for a disabled person is slim and you know it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by paul514)
    The chances of this amount for a disabled person is slim and you know it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Precisely thats why I asked him to explain what sort of person gets it and how many backed up by real stats get it. Just seems like another benefit beating thread.
    what morninic people would say increase or decrease without understanding why the payments are made, what their problems are and the effect.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.