Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Something I am seriously considering doing at uni is English Language and Literature. I'm predicted all As, and my subjects are:
    -Psychology
    -English Language
    -Drama and Theatre Studies
    -Sociology
    I am aware that some unis require English Literature as a must, but will those that don't even consider me if I keep Drama and Theatre Studies, Psychology and English Language to A2?

Thank you in advance for any help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by drowninginwork)
    Something I am seriously considering doing at uni is English Language and Literature. I'm predicted all As, and my subjects are:
    -Psychology
    -English Language
    -Sociology
    I am aware that some unis require English Literature as a must, but will those that don't even consider me if I keep Drama and Theatre Studies, Psychology and English Language to A2?

Every university will have a different opinion on this.

Unfortunately there aren't any shortcuts other than contacting each university directly and asking if you'd be considered/in with a chance with your A level subjects.

Did you have the option to take English Lit A level? If not then make that clear when you contact them. Also let them know your English lit GCSE results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Every university will have a different opinion on this.

Unfortunately there aren't any shortcuts other than contacting each university directly and asking if you'd be considered/in with a chance with your A level subjects.

Did you have the option to take English Lit A level? If not then make that clear when you contact them. Also let them know your English lit GCSE results
    I did have the option to take English Lit A level, but was advised against taking two English courses and I got an A* for Language and an A for Literature at GCSE so I chose Language, wished I'd have taken it now! Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    I did have the option to take English Lit A level, but was advised against taking two English courses and I got an A* for Language and an A for Literature at GCSE so I chose Language, wished I'd have taken it now! Thanks for the help
    Also might I add that the universities that I am looking at tend to have requirements like:
    "A in English literature or English language (or combined) at A level; four GCSE passes at grade A or above including English" - all of which I have/ hopefully will get.
    Argh this university stuff is difficult :/
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Also might I add that the universities that I am looking at tend to have requirements like:
    "A in English literature or English language (or combined) at A level; four GCSE passes at grade A or above including English" - all of which I have/ hopefully will get.
    Argh this university stuff is difficult :/
    That's positive - get in touch with them. An afternoon sending out emails will be worth it to put your mind at rest and make sure you end up with 5 choices that are going to accept your A level subjects
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    -Psychology
    -English Language
    -Sociology

To be honest most unis will have the requirement of "English Literature at A-level or; English and Language Combined, Drama and Theatre Studies or Creative Writing". But since you have Drama and Theatre Studies and English Language, I don't think you'd be at a huge disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    Email all universities that you are interested in to ask about requirements! From my experience, you won't be at a disadvantage as most unis start off the year with introductory courses and sometimes it seems a bit dull as it's stuff you have already done but they kind of want to get you out of the a-level way of thinking because it is different at uni anyway! I'm also studying English Language and Literature at uni of Glasgow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.