Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not enjoying my course, no idea what I want to do, what path to take Watch

ReputationRep:
    To keep it short, I was meant to attend Uni in the states where you have 2 years to test the waters before deciding the major you want to take, instead I have ended up in an environmental science course at the University of southampton (due to taking Biology and Chemistry at higher level in IB). I took those courses at HL because I thought my passion was in wildlife and conserving them, this course was about all I could get in to seeing as I didn't try on my IB exams since you dont need results to get in to US universities. It was been 8 months of my first year, I am not motivated to do anything related to the course, I just can't see myself in any of these careers they are laying out in front of me, i'm stuck.

On one hand I don't want to pay for another year of uni (if I were to switch courses), and I already took a gap year so going back another year isn't appealing. At the same time, I don't want to force myself in to an industry I will never enjoy. The idea of being an environmental consultant etc. isn't appealing at all. I am very tech oriented, love computers, video games. The areas I have looked in to are: Digital marketing, web design, mobile development, and so on in those realms. Nothing has really spoken to me, but I know for sure I would enjoy myself more in one of those fields.

So my questions are:

* any general advice?
    * any advice from somebody that has changed courses?
    * any other careers you think would fit me?
    * How necessary is a university degree to get in to the tech field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwood490)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    To keep it short, I was meant to attend Uni in the states where you have 2 years to test the waters before deciding the major you want to take, instead I have ended up in an environmental science course at the University of southampton (due to taking Biology and Chemistry at higher level in IB). I took those courses at HL because I thought my passion was in wildlife and conserving them, this course was about all I could get in to seeing as I didn't try on my IB exams since you dont need results to get in to US universities. It was been 8 months of my first year, I am not motivated to do anything related to the course, I just can't see myself in any of these careers they are laying out in front of me, i'm stuck.

On one hand I don't want to pay for another year of uni (if I were to switch courses), and I already took a gap year so going back another year isn't appealing. At the same time, I don't want to force myself in to an industry I will never enjoy. The idea of being an environmental consultant etc. isn't appealing at all. I am very tech oriented, love computers, video games. The areas I have looked in to are: Digital marketing, web design, mobile development, and so on in those realms. Nothing has really spoken to me, but I know for sure I would enjoy myself more in one of those fields.

So my questions are:

* any general advice?
    * any advice from somebody that has changed courses?
    * any other careers you think would fit me?
    * How necessary is a university degree to get in to the tech field?
    1. My general advice would be to perhaps try and bring these queries to a tutor or careers advisor at your institution. See if they can match your interests with something your degree offers to you. If not, consider transferring or pulling out. Ultimately, if you aren't enjoying it, you probably aren't going to, in the end, pursue any careers in that field and so your degree is largely pointless! As such, although you don't like the idea, going back a year may be worth your while.
    2. I can't help here, sorry.
    3. You sound like you'd match computer science as a degree much more or engineering, something along those lines. Perhaps its time for you to go back to the drawing board and look at other universities and degree choices. It seems like that is the only way you'll become content.
    4. I'm not sure if it's necessary but I would imagine that a technological career would require a lot of knowledge and skill, maybe even training, in those sorts of areas. That's just a guess though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.