Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are just over a month away and I really need to motivate myself. I said last year I'd start sweating it out at Christmas, and now we're at Easter and I've only just started! I'm interested to see what results do other people on this wish to achieve, and what could be considered 'good' GCSE grades all together?

Personally, If I opened my results slip on results day and found myself with around 5 A*s 5 As and a B I'd be very chuffed with myself. A lot of my mates are talking about wanting to achieve 10 A*s, I'm just wondering if that seems extremely rash or is it just me?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hiya, I'm literally the same - I still haven't got my act together yet and there's less than 6 weeks to go!

My goal is 7A*s and 4As, but I'd be happy with anything above 5A*s and I'd also be happy if one of those As slips to a B, as its highly likely (why PE why)

How are you finding year 11 in general and revision so far?

ReputationRep:
    Anything above 5A*s and the rest A's will suffice for me, however I am aiming for 8A*s, I just couldn't possibly be disappointed with 4,5,6 A*s as that is personally a great set of grades. Just because you aren't aiming for 10 A*s doesn't mean that you aren't capable it just means you're realistic probably, you know your limits and 5A*s is amazing!!! Don't compare yourself to others because even if you got 2A*s and the rest A's and even a B your results will still be above average !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Hiya, I'm literally the same - I still haven't got my act together yet and there's less than 6 weeks to go!

My goal is 7A*s and 4As, but I'd be happy with anything above 5A*s and I'd also be happy if one of those As slips to a B, as its highly likely (why PE why)

How are you finding year 11 in general and revision so far?

Yeah it's hard to pinpoint what Im actually going to get an A* in. It all depends on the amount of work you put it now, and as you say, only 6 weeks are left. Personally, I find GCSE's in themselves quite easy, but in a way they have to be easy if the average student is juggling 9-12 subjects at one time. I'm finding revision okay but in certain subjects like history or further maths you can find yourself doing one chapter and before you know it 2 hours or so has passed! Idk maybe that's just me because when I revise I go for the quality over quantity route everytime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    Anything above 5A*s and the rest A's will suffice for me, however I am aiming for 8A*s, I just couldn't possibly be disappointed with 4,5,6 A*s as that is personally a great set of grades. Just because you aren't aiming for 10 A*s doesn't mean that you aren't capable it just means you're realistic probably, you know your limits and 5A*s is amazing!!! Don't compare yourself to others because even if you got 2A*s and the rest A's and even a B your results will still be above average !
    Yeah I agree. To be honest, it's hard to tell with A*s because you know yourself whether or not you'e in the A/A* boundary but the grade boundaries for A*s are so high that a lot of people I know may miss out on 2/3 A*s in their GCSE's my a couple marks which is extremely disappointing ://
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by OpticSesh)
    Yeah it's hard to pinpoint what Im actually going to get an A* in. It all depends on the amount of work you put it now, and as you say, only 6 weeks are left. Personally, I find GCSE's in themselves quite easy, but in a way they have to be easy if the average student is juggling 9-12 subjects at one time. I'm finding revision okay but in certain subjects like history or further maths you can find yourself doing one chapter and before you know it 2 hours or so has passed! Idk maybe that's just me because when I revise I go for the quality over quantity route everytime.
    I totally agree, the content isn't that hard if you think about it, it's just how the examiners are SO picky with what's worthy of marks and what isn't that always costs me (especially in science)
    Tell me about it with further maths, on one hand I love it because GCSE is really dull and seems like 'baby maths' sometimes compared to it, so it's refreshing but God is it repetitive! Although I'm on a bit of a maths-sickness today as I forced myself to get through 2 further maths papers - probably shouldn't have done that tbh
    I haven't even started revising Religious Studies and it's my first exam! I definitely haven't left myself enough time - not with how slowly I work anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpticSesh)
    Yeah I agree. To be honest, it's hard to tell with A*s because you know yourself whether or not you'e in the A/A* boundary but the grade boundaries for A*s are so high that a lot of people I know may miss out on 2/3 A*s in their GCSE's my a couple marks which is extremely disappointing ://
    I totally agree! That's why I can't be confident in saying I want so many A*s because anything could happen, as long as you work your hardest it's all that matter so whatever we get,may least we know we tried our hardest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    I totally agree! That's why I can't be confident in saying I want so many A*s because anything could happen, as long as you work your hardest it's all that matter so whatever we get,may least we know we tried our hardest!
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    I totally agree, the content isn't that hard if you think about it, it's just how the examiners are SO picky with what's worthy of marks and what isn't that always costs me (especially in science)
    Tell me about it with further maths, on one hand I love it because GCSE is really dull and seems like 'baby maths' sometimes compared to it, so it's refreshing but God is it repetitive! Although I'm on a bit of a maths-sickness today as I forced myself to get through 2 further maths papers - probably shouldn't have done that tbh
    I haven't even started revising Religious Studies and it's my first exam! I definitely haven't left myself enough time - not with how slowly I work anyway
    You've literally described how I feel atm lol. I think the main point of gcses is giving you the ability to cope under pressure with, not neccessarily dealing with hard work, but ALOT of work. Theres mountains of stuff to cover and remember and I think that's the big problem. I'm also aiming high but worried about how I can cover everything and obliterate past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilshark)
    You've literally described how I feel atm lol. I think the main point of gcses is giving you the ability to cope under pressure with, not neccessarily dealing with hard work, but ALOT of work. Theres mountains of stuff to cover and remember and I think that's the big problem. I'm also aiming high but worried about how I can cover everything and obliterate past papers
    Yeah honestly the content I personally don't find very hard, obviously maths is my weak point and some science topics can be hard but my understanding of the topics is enough to get me to where I want to be but the pressure of balancing revision for all my topics and doing topics I maybe don't find interesting is the most difficult part for me, it's like an introduction into what's about to come. Aiming high is great and I think it's best to aim high than have little self confidence in your abilities but sometimes it worries me that literally anything could happen, despite how much I've revised a hard paper or high grade boundaries could knock me down. It's all about not knowing what's going to happen!

ReputationRep:
    My first exam is in 28 days exactly 4 weeks from now I think haha! So scared!
    I am aiming for all A*s or 7-8A*s and 1-2As. My school didn't allow us to take more than 9 subjects because its a very underperforming school and they didn't think we'd be able to handle more lol so getting those grades would be the highest record which would be a massive achievement!
    So far revision is really good! My mock grades were 7A*s 1A and 1B so hopefully I keep these grades up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by shilshark)
    Fierce! But same

Exam technique is definitely letting me down - dedicating time for this next week (I'm a busy gal haha)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.