Is only doing 4 highers good enough to get offered a place at uni? Watch

Bonnie2512
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So right now I'm in S5 and my highers are coming up soon! Throughout fifth year I have taken maths, English, biology, modern studies and history but in my prelim (mocks) I failed maths really badly and have now been advised to do it over two years and sit it at the end of s6/ next year! I have been predicted to get 4A's in the exams this year- I got 3A's and a B (in biology- which I find hard because of the maths) in my prelims so I'm hoping for the 4A's this year It is almost a month until maths and I am unsure on whether I should go for it this year or not? I am scared that I do it and get a C or a D because I know that's not good for uni but I'm scared that if I don't do it I will be rejected from uni's as I'll only have 4 highers? Next year I'm hoping to do advanced higher mods and Advanced higher history and if I don't do maths this year then H maths again or crash higher business! I am smart but maths has always been my weakness and I'm just scared that I've left it too late and no matter what I do now I won't get more than a C.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
Larissa14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, look at the entry requirements for unis, most only want at least 4 highers!
There is always a chance to do more highers next year if you are unsure.
If you don't achive the right grade you would just get a conditional instead of an unconditional.
Yammy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bonnie2512)
So right now I'm in S5 and my highers are coming up soon! Throughout fifth year I have taken maths, English, biology, modern studies and history but in my prelim (mocks) I failed maths really badly and have now been advised to do it over two years and sit it at the end of s6/ next year! I have been predicted to get 4A's in the exams this year- I got 3A's and a B (in biology- which I find hard because of the maths) in my prelims so I'm hoping for the 4A's this year It is almost a month until maths and I am unsure on whether I should go for it this year or not? I am scared that I do it and get a C or a D because I know that's not good for uni but I'm scared that if I don't do it I will be rejected from uni's as I'll only have 4 highers? Next year I'm hoping to do advanced higher mods and Advanced higher history and if I don't do maths this year then H maths again or crash higher business! I am smart but maths has always been my weakness and I'm just scared that I've left it too late and no matter what I do now I won't get more than a C.
Hey, I agree with Larissa14, 4 highers is enough for most Scottish unis (depending on course). Unless you want to study maths at uni, then taking it in S6 will be fine. You can also take a few more crash highers then if you want. As for biology, most maths questions in biology are percentage changes, and conversion factors, so learn them
alana_p
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Scottish unis are really fair and understand that not all schools even offer a lot of highers in the first place. 4 is fine, it's probably best to also pick up a another higher in s6 and maybe even an AH. Although, i know people who have got unconditional offers based on 4 highers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Higherdude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did 4 highers and i got unconditional's.

You are fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads