Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi reader,

So I was just in the middle of my prayers, and a very worrying, uncomfortable thought of doubting the existence of God occurred in my mind. I've noticed these thoughts pop up quite frequently here and there, but 90% of time it doesn't. I would say I do believe in God, but I sometimes, very occasionally think for like 2 seconds, then quickly ask for forgiveness, that 'am I actually praying to something'? I am very uncomfortable even writing and thinking about it now, as I feel like I'm being apostolic which I hate to even imagine being.

Can someone tell me if these doubts will be forgiven by God?

ReputationRep:
    The Almighty is closer to you than your jugular vein. He watches over you with loving mercy. His kindness and compassion are beyond our ability to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justtryingtolive)
    Hi reader,

So I was just in the middle of my prayers, and a very worrying, uncomfortable thought of doubting the existence of God occurred in my mind. I've noticed these thoughts pop up quite frequently here and there, but 90% of time it doesn't. I would say I do believe in God, but I sometimes, very occasionally think for like 2 seconds, then quickly ask for forgiveness, that 'am I actually praying to something'? I am very uncomfortable even writing and thinking about it now, as I feel like I'm being apostolic which I hate to even imagine being.

If God is omni-benevolent then sure

ReputationRep:
    Im sure God realises people question his existence daily

ReputationRep:
    Doubting the existence of something you've had absolutely no tangible encounter with whatsoever is natural.

The more pertinent question would be why you would believe in a God that would punish you for something so petty.

If you're going to believe in God, do so in one that would be kind and compassionate. Otherwise, you're just creating necessary worry in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Hi reader,

You wouldn't be human if you never had even a second of doubt in your mind, I'm sure even the most devout believers have had doubts before, and that is the way God created us. The fact you repent and keep on going is the real illustration of your faith and character

ReputationRep:
    No, your going to hell, don't worry though, I'll save you a seat . We can be buds...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ...forever and ever .

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty sad that as soon as you have a free thought you are imediately scared into thinking it was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Hi reader,

so you're a weak believer since you have doubt
    that's like saying i'll trust in you but for this specific thing i can't trust you with then you decide that you can trust this person, not exactly a great connection is it?

(Original post by KaylaB)
    If God is omni-benevolent then sure
    pls don't go into the omnis pls they just don't work with god

ReputationRep:
    Hi reader,

Zeus is probably furious, expect thunderbolts and lightning. Very very frightening.

ReputationRep:
    God gave us free will to question.

ReputationRep:
    Hi reader,

Surely you mean apostate? Apostolic is something a bit different haha.
    It seems as if you have a weak faith; if you met the living Christ you would be certain God exists and that He loves you. Remember if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins but first you must be born again of the spirit of God as Jesus said in the New Testament
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi reader,

Whilst one cannot definitively give you an answer because you haven't specified a religion/denomination, I don't personally see why fleeting doubts would be a problem for your god :nah: In my belief system at least (Roman Catholicism), it's less about the content of fleeting thoughts than how you act upon or react to them :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might want to entertain those doubts, especially since you seem to believe in a god that will treat it as thoughtcrime regardless of whether you quickly suppressed them or not. You're done for anyway, so you might as well think. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hi reader,

doubt it :\

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.