The Student Room Group

Shall I do 4 A-levels??

Hi, I'm currently picking my A levels, and am planning to take History, French, Sociology and Psychology. Because of A-level changes and my school I have to pick this year (Year 11) whether or not I'm doing 3 A-levels, 4 A-levels or 3 and an AS. I'm a relatively hard worker and am predicted 6As and 6A*s at GCSE, and am hoping to persue to study sociology at uni,but I'm not sure how many A-levels to do. Sociology and Pyschcology are available at AS, and if I had to drop a subject it would be French, but I'm concerned about not having strong enough subjects to get into a good uni with just one 'facilitating subject'. Do you think it would be better to do 3 A-levels or to keep all 4?? How hard is it to do well in 4? Thanks!! :smile:
It isn't particularly difficult to do well in four. If you have the ability to do well in three then doing well in four will be a question of effort, not ability. There generally isn't any need to study four and, given that you plan to study sociology at university, you are unlikely to be negatively impacted (for the most part) by studying both sociology and psychology. I think if you intent to target some of the more academically prestigious universities it would seem sensible to take all four if you are confident your work ethic will persist through both years but again, I wouldn't say it is necessary.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest