Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a bit worried about my M3 exam in just over a months time.
    I can do most questions where a diagram is provided to you alright but when I have to draw a diagram myself I tend to struggle.
    My main issue is with identifying right angled triangles (maybe that's a stupid thing to struggle with).
    I though maybe a way to combat this would maybe to identify the original right angled triangle with the angle alpha for example and draw it on tracing paper and rotate it on the page so I can see where other right angled triangles would fit and which angle would be the angle alpha.
    This is mainly a problem in circular motion, inclined planes and moments questions.
    Are we allowed to request tracing paper in the exam or do you even think this would help?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Windowswind123)
    I had the same thoughts as you; unfortunately: you're not allowed tracing paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I had the same thoughts as you; unfortunately: you're not allowed tracing paper.
    Ah
    Alright thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ah
    Alright thanks anyway.
    Hopefully somebody who is actually any good at mechanics will pop up with some advice, though.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    My main issue is with identifying right angled triangles (maybe that's a stupid thing to struggle with).
    I though maybe a way to combat this would maybe to identify the original right angled triangle with the angle alpha for example and draw it on tracing paper and rotate it on the page so I can see where other right angled triangles would fit and which angle would be the angle alpha.
    It's not a good idea to attempt this method, as diagram are often not drawn to scale. And even if they are, angles that look like right angles, aren't necessarily.

You need a geometrical justification. Putting in additional horizontal and vertical lines may help. Then basic geometry.

If you have to draw a diagram yourself, don't make a right angle unless you know it is, e.g. tangent to a radius of a circle.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother redrawing diagrams, just use an HB pencil to draw on verticals and horizontals on the given diagrams ghostwalker said. DON'T use a pen - it's impossible to fix in case you marked something incorrectly.

When things are hinged/turning and you have to take moments about awkward places, you might want to draw a new diagram. Try marking in all the required angles and make it very roughly to scale as it'll help identify angles better.

You are allowed a compass, ruler and protractor however, which I find very handy for circular motion or CofM questions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a bit worried about my M3 exam in just over a months time.
    I can do most questions where a diagram is provided to you alright but when I have to draw a diagram myself I tend to struggle.
    This is mainly a problem in circular motion, inclined planes and moments questions.
    Are we allowed to request tracing paper in the exam or do you even think this would help?
    Thanks!
    Make sure when you draw a diagram that the angles are a long way from 45 degrees, e.g. 20 degrees, not necessarily what they are supposed to be. Then you know that all of the small angles are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Make sure when you draw a diagram that the angles are a long way from 45 degrees, e.g. 20 degrees, not necessarily what they are supposed to be. Then you know that all of the small angles are the same.
    Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.