The Student Room Group

Why do people still consume cow's milk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multitalented me
Milk that is designed for a baby calf? It completely baffles me tbh, we're the only mammal that drinks the milk of another species, seems totally wrong to me. We have no need to drink milk after infancy but if you must there are plenty of plant based alternatives.

LOL these days everyone seems to question everything we do. Nothing wrong with drinking it, there will still be enough for the calf to live anyway. Also, plant based alternatives just aren't as tasty for a lot of people (including me).
Original post by Angry cucumber
Colostrum can't go in your tea legally....

What do you think of this video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWTbjeEvVY
Trust me he isnt a typical meathead
Original post by hezzlington
Yeah the dairy industry is cruel.

Human trafficking and sex slaves is cruel. Terrorism is cruel. The tobacco industry is cruel. The fashion industry with respect to manufacturing and labour practice is cruel.

Life is cruel.

We need to learn how to treat eachother before we really worry about how to look after the earth and it's lovely animals.

Priorities.

We can solve all of those problems simultaneously; it won't hinder crackdowns on human trafficking, terrorism, smoking, and all the rest if we try and wean ourselves off milk at the same time.

In any case the beef and dairy industry creates many more problems than simply being cruel to the animals. It contributes to world hunger, climate change, antibiotic resistance, and the prevalence of cancer and heart disease. I think I'd prioritise it over sorting out the fashion industry at the very least - but as I've said, we can do both at once.

Oh and by the way I really hate when people say "life isn't fair" or "life is cruel" as if that were an argument for anything. Why the **** do we even have, say, a criminal justice system, if we've accepted that life is irredeemably, insolvably unfair and unjust? Why even try?
(edited 7 years ago)
we're the only mammal that drinks the milk of another species, .

image.jpeg

U mad bro?
Milk that is designed for a baby calf? It completely baffles me tbh, we're the only mammal that drinks the milk of another species, seems totally wrong to me. We have no need to drink milk after infancy but if you must there are plenty of plant based alternatives.

You can stop drinking milk if you want, doesn't mean others have to stop. From a moral standpoint you may have an argument but there is a million other ways humans are bad and unethical. Reason, because we are at the top of the food chain.

Don't come along and give us your vegan ********
Original post by DiddyDec
That isn't answering the question and is factually incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope it's not. Time to go do some research. I'm directly quoting my lecture notes in that milk from cows that have calved <3 days ago can't go into the human food chain. Considering you didn't know TB is a zoonosis, I feel like you're not up to speed on the dairy industry.

You can buy powdered colostrum if you're into that, mainly from the states, I wouldn't take it as it's expensive and useless.

Original post by Mentally
What do you think of this videohttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWTbjeEvVYTrust me he isnt a typical meathead

Eliott Hulse is a pseudoscientist, who long ago lost all his credibility. Raw milk isn't better for you, it's a myth and contains zoonoses. There's a reason why milk is pasteurised; it's not for economics.
Original post by Mentally
What do you think of this video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWTbjeEvVY
Trust me he isnt a typical meathead

One of the worst fitness YouTubers around....
I only drink badgers milk.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I only drink badgers milk.

That's actually quite disturbing.....
Original post by Konahagakure
That's actually quite disturbing.....

:yy:
Nope it's not. Time to go do some research. I'm directly quoting my lecture notes in that milk from cows that have calved <3 days ago can't go into the human food chain. Considering you didn't know TB is a zoonosis, I feel like you're not up to speed on the dairy industry.

You can buy powdered colostrum if you're into that, mainly from the states, I wouldn't take it as it's expensive and useless.

Could you show me the law that states that consuming colostrum is illegal? I can't seem to find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This guy is like the people that complain about meat on Facebook.

GET OUT
Because we can.
Original post by Ursin
We can care about more than one thing though, we don't have to choose between not being a terrorist and caring about animals

It seems the vegans are mostly only concerned with animal welfare and to an extent, the environment.

They don't care the fags they smoke contain tobacco harvested by children made sick from the farming, or that the clothes they wear are made by people (usually young) who work for a few pennies an hour.

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
We can solve all of those problems simultaneously; it won't hinder crackdowns on human trafficking, terrorism, smoking, and all the rest if we try and wean ourselves off milk at the same time.

In any case the beef and dairy industry creates many more problems than simply being cruel to the animals. It contributes to world hunger, climate change, antibiotic resistance, and the prevalence of cancer and heart disease. I think I'd prioritise it over sorting out the fashion industry at the very least - but as I've said, we can do both at once.

Oh and by the way I really hate when people say "life isn't fair" or "life is cruel" as if that were an argument for anything. Why the **** do we even have, say, a criminal justice system, if we've accepted that life is irredeemably, insolvably unfair and unjust? Why even try?

Yes, but we don't, and won't solve these problems simultaneously.

Where there is inequality and bad practice, there is usually more money to be made. Where there is profit, injustice will follow but unfortunately the need to make profit trumps all.
Would you prefer pigeon's milk?
Original post by Woody_Pigeon

pigeons don't make milk silly, they make mayonnaise.
Original post by pri33
Milk literally has no benefit to the human body, it actually damages it.

wut
Original post by DiddyDec
Could you show me the law that states that consuming colostrum is illegal? I can't seem to find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if can't read or attempting to russle. You can consume it, but colostrum can't go into bulk milk for liquid milk as it'll fail the tank under antimicrobial testing as it's bacteriocidal/ static and is hence prohibited

Colostrum can be sold under raw milk legislation which has a range of requirements, including much higher acceptable bacterial counts etc. There's a number of hoops to jump through and is not widely practiced due a lack of demand and health risks.

Dairy products (Hygiene) Regulations 1995

Milk and dairies (general) regulations 1959

EC regulations (H1-5)

That's where most of the stuff I've just said come from also stuff from 853/2004 and other stuff from /2004 and also industry milk requirements which aren't published on the internet

Tl;dr - there's no colostrum in the stuff in the supermarkets
Original post by Woody_Pigeon

Dat crop secretion
Eliott Hulse is a pseudoscientist, who long ago lost all his credibility

Just gotto breeeathe into your balls.

Saw the vid title and immediately exited.

Quick Reply

Latest