Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have anxiety. bad anxiety. to a point where I'm considering dropping a gcse. It's not because I hate the subject (history) i love it. I have a supporting teacher who is very kind. But along with some other personal issues that are going on at home, it's made it very hard to make time for this subject that is needed. Lets just say its getting too much for me and I need to put my mental health first. But I'm wondering if 8 GCSEs will damage my future in anyway. I'm not looking into going into a english or history based career but does the amount of GCSEs you have affect anything?

Please reply your thoughts. It would mean alot. And I'm sorry for not saying the full story, it's too personal. Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Max I've ever heard people being asked for are 7 tbh, when you apply to sixth forms and they ask for your best 7.

ReputationRep:
    Put your health first. Technically you only need the core (math, science and english) for any basic job plus two other subjects which makes five. Your mental health is important, don't neglect it. Most establishments will only ask for five.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Sixth forms/college won't ask for more than 6 tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Max I've ever heard people being asked for are 7 tbh, when you apply to sixth forms and they ask for your best 7.
    (Original post by EllainKahlo)
    Put your health first. Technically you only need the core (math, science and english) for any basic job plus two other subjects which makes five. Your mental health is important, don't neglect it. Most establishments will only ask for five.
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Yes. Sixth forms/college won't ask for more than 6 tbh
    Thankyou for replying! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maz0110)
    I have anxiety. bad anxiety. to a point where I'm considering dropping a gcse. It's not because I hate the subject (history) i love it. I have a supporting teacher who is very kind. But along with some other personal issues that are going on at home, it's made it very hard to make time for this subject that is needed. Lets just say its getting too much for me and I need to put my mental health first. But I'm wondering if 8 GCSEs will damage my future in anyway. I'm not looking into going into a english or history based career but does the amount of GCSEs you have affect anything?

Please reply your thoughts. It would mean alot. And I'm sorry for not saying the full story, it's too personal. Thankyou x
    Coincidentally, I was actually considering dropping history this time last year, for similar reasons to you, I was really overwhelmed by how much content I had to learn and was pretty sure I was going to fail it. My parents didn't let me drop out though, but I ended up getting an A in it (thanks to a ton of past papers and just memorising as much as I could).
    It was a pain though, you really need to put a lot of time into revising so if you think you'd be better off dropping it, do that, you don't want to be so stressed that you do badly in other subjects.
    8 GCSEs is fine. I have 12, which I think is a bit excessive, but that's just me, most people at my school did 8-9.
    Universities care about quality, not quantity, and to be perfectly honest, GCSEs don't matter as much as your teachers probably tell you, I'm in sixth form now and from what I've learnt universities care a lot more about your A Level predicted grades and personal statements and all the extra-curricular stuff. But don't worry, 8 is absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for replying this helped me a lot and really gave me my answer. Xx
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Maz0110)

Good 8 GCSE's are fine, I'm only taking 9

ReputationRep:
    most sixth form and colleges ask for 7 - A* - C's (including maths and english)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.