Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,For medicine at a top university such as cambridge...
    Should I start WE now?
    If I do so,Then should I do it for the rest of the3/4 years unti uni?
    Is doing work experience at more than one hospital more beneficial?
    What is a shadowing experience,how does it differ from WE?
    Is doing work experience at major hospitals better than work experience at smaller hospitals?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    Hello,For medicine at a top university such as cambridge...
    Should I start WE now?
    If I do so,Then should I do it for the rest of the3/4 years unti uni?
    Is doing work experience at more than one hospital more beneficial?
    What is a shadowing experience,how does it differ from WE?
    Is doing work experience at major hospitals better than work experience at smaller hospitals?

Thanks.
    Ok, so what year are you in? As that would help in knowing when you should start WE.

WE mostly only really counts if it happened in the past two years before you apply so I would start in the summer after GCSE'S.
    You don't have to do it for a very long time, it can range from a week to a year but obviously its a bit better to do it for more than a week. I wouldn't advise you to carry on with WE after year 12. Once Year 13 started I stopped doing work experience as I knew that I would need to focus a lot of my energy on my exams.

You can do it more than one hospital if you want, it'll be a bit hard to find but what they are looking for is the fact that you need to learn a lot of skills from the work experience not just what you have seen. When I applied, I was rejected not on the basis of which work experience I took but because I didn't convey what I learnt from them properly onto my PS (I asked for feedback which is how I know this)

Shadowing is basically where you just sort of follow someone around and see how their days goes. WE is a bit more hands on.

It doesn't matter which type of hospital you do it at, as long as you get the work experience. Having said this, if you are under the age of 18 it is extremely hard to get WE in a hospital or GP, so you might start of at like a care home or charity shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Ok, so what year are you in? As that would help in knowing when you should start WE.

WE mostly only really counts if it happened in the past two years before you apply so I would start in the summer after GCSE'S.
    You don't have to do it for a very long time, it can range from a week to a year but obviously its a bit better to do it for more than a week. I wouldn't advise you to carry on with WE after year 12. Once Year 13 started I stopped doing work experience as I knew that I would need to focus a lot of my energy on my exams.

You can do it more than one hospital if you want, it'll be a bit hard to find but what they are looking for is the fact that you need to learn a lot of skills from the work experience not just what you have seen. When I applied, I was rejected not on the basis of which work experience I took but because I didn't convey what I learnt from them properly onto my PS (I asked for feedback which is how I know this)

Shadowing is basically where you just sort of follow someone around and see how their days goes. WE is a bit more hands on.

It doesn't matter which type of hospital you do it at, as long as you get the work experience. Having said this, if you are under the age of 18 it is extremely hard to get WE in a hospital or GP, so you might start of at like a care home or charity shop.

Hey,Im currently 15 for your Info.
    Also,Does doing work experience say at 3 hospitals for 2 years,how do they value work experience?For medicine,At uni is it valued upon how long you have done it or how? and also how do you prove you have done it or do you need to prove it(Just curious)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VNN)
    Hey,Im currently 15 for your Info.
    Also,Does doing work experience say at 3 hospitals for 2 years,how do they value work experience?For medicine,At uni is it valued upon how long you have done it or how? and also how do you prove you have done it or do you need to prove it(Just curious)?
    Well, I never needed to prove my WE, but that depends on the uni's you apply to (you can do this by getting letters from your WE place). If I was you, I would focus more on your GCSE'S at the moment, especially since now those will be the only things (aside from your predicted grades) that you can present to your unis.

And yeah, 3 hospitals for 2 years sound fine

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.