The Student Room Group

Work experience....?

Hello,For medicine at a top university such as cambridge...
Should I start WE now?
If I do so,Then should I do it for the rest of the3/4 years unti uni?
Is doing work experience at more than one hospital more beneficial?
What is a shadowing experience,how does it differ from WE?
Is doing work experience at major hospitals better than work experience at smaller hospitals?

Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Hello,For medicine at a top university such as cambridge...
Should I start WE now?
If I do so,Then should I do it for the rest of the3/4 years unti uni?
Is doing work experience at more than one hospital more beneficial?
What is a shadowing experience,how does it differ from WE?
Is doing work experience at major hospitals better than work experience at smaller hospitals?

Thanks.

Ok, so what year are you in? As that would help in knowing when you should start WE.

WE mostly only really counts if it happened in the past two years before you apply so I would start in the summer after GCSE'S.
You don't have to do it for a very long time, it can range from a week to a year but obviously its a bit better to do it for more than a week. I wouldn't advise you to carry on with WE after year 12. Once Year 13 started I stopped doing work experience as I knew that I would need to focus a lot of my energy on my exams.

You can do it more than one hospital if you want, it'll be a bit hard to find but what they are looking for is the fact that you need to learn a lot of skills from the work experience not just what you have seen. When I applied, I was rejected not on the basis of which work experience I took but because I didn't convey what I learnt from them properly onto my PS (I asked for feedback which is how I know this)

Shadowing is basically where you just sort of follow someone around and see how their days goes. WE is a bit more hands on.

It doesn't matter which type of hospital you do it at, as long as you get the work experience. Having said this, if you are under the age of 18 it is extremely hard to get WE in a hospital or GP, so you might start of at like a care home or charity shop.

:smile:
Original post by cookiemonster15
Ok, so what year are you in? As that would help in knowing when you should start WE.

WE mostly only really counts if it happened in the past two years before you apply so I would start in the summer after GCSE'S.
You don't have to do it for a very long time, it can range from a week to a year but obviously its a bit better to do it for more than a week. I wouldn't advise you to carry on with WE after year 12. Once Year 13 started I stopped doing work experience as I knew that I would need to focus a lot of my energy on my exams.

You can do it more than one hospital if you want, it'll be a bit hard to find but what they are looking for is the fact that you need to learn a lot of skills from the work experience not just what you have seen. When I applied, I was rejected not on the basis of which work experience I took but because I didn't convey what I learnt from them properly onto my PS (I asked for feedback which is how I know this)

Shadowing is basically where you just sort of follow someone around and see how their days goes. WE is a bit more hands on.

It doesn't matter which type of hospital you do it at, as long as you get the work experience. Having said this, if you are under the age of 18 it is extremely hard to get WE in a hospital or GP, so you might start of at like a care home or charity shop.

:smile:

Hey,Im currently 15 for your Info.
Also,Does doing work experience say at 3 hospitals for 2 years,how do they value work experience?For medicine,At uni is it valued upon how long you have done it or how? and also how do you prove you have done it or do you need to prove it(Just curious)?
Original post by VNN
Hey,Im currently 15 for your Info.
Also,Does doing work experience say at 3 hospitals for 2 years,how do they value work experience?For medicine,At uni is it valued upon how long you have done it or how? and also how do you prove you have done it or do you need to prove it(Just curious)?

Well, I never needed to prove my WE, but that depends on the uni's you apply to (you can do this by getting letters from your WE place). If I was you, I would focus more on your GCSE'S at the moment, especially since now those will be the only things (aside from your predicted grades) that you can present to your unis.

And yeah, 3 hospitals for 2 years sound fine :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest