The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

MA in mental health nursing at Salford

Hi Guys,
Ive applied (in Feb) for the MA in mental health nursing at Salford, as a mature student. Anyone else out there? Have you heard anything about interview dates at all?
I contacted the uni about 3 weeks ago who told me that the postgraduate course assessments happen after all of the undergraduate ones and to expect to hear something at the end of march or early in april. Yet here I am still waiting...
I applied using the online application so I can 'track' my progress but its just saying 'assessment commenced' since 7th March (its now 6th April?!). How long do these things usually take? How long after an interview do you find out if you are successful?
Im currently living in France and run my own business, if I get on the course I will be selling my business and moving countries so Im very time aware, also I will have to book flights to come to England for the interview. I live in a ski resort and the end of the winter season is almost upon us so my decision over whether I need to get a new job over the summer whilst I sell my business and prepare to move, kind of needs to be made this month.
Feeling in total life limbo so if anyone knows a timescale I'd be forever grateful!
Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
Have you heard from them now? I applied for MA adult nursing and I haven't heard from them too.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
I rang and was told they are only currently interviewing people who applied before Jan 31st and then seeing how many places are left. Im a bit annoyed because when I rang in December to see if there was any kind of cut off date for applications I was told there was none. I applied in the first week of February :frown: Ive also seen that people who applied for the Bsc have been offered places on the MA course which seems unfair as some people like me have only applied for this one MA course yet are left waiting because of their application date. Don't think they've handled applications very well to be honest. Fingers crossed for us both though, I was told it could be another month before I hear anything. Good luck! I'll keep you posted x
Reply 3
Fingers crossed then, just make sure that you are preparing for the Maths and English tests, Group exercise and personal interview.
So I found out from the University that I haven't been successful and that they didn't actually consider my application as they have already closed the program. Ive seen a lot on here and the Facebook page that people (who didn't apply for the MA) got offered a place on the MA course during their interview for the Bsc in Mental Health Nursing. So they have filled the course with undergraduate UCAS applicants and thats that. Im pretty angry to be honest. I only applied for the MA ,and through the University not UCAS as I was told to do it that way, so I now have no other options and I cannot go through clearing to any other courses. I have spoken to the university about this via email to find out what happened; why I wasn't told earlier that it was being processed in a first come first serve basis, why I was told there was no time limit on submitting my application back in December, why applicants of another course were given priority over the places, and why I my application wasn't even looked at in the 3 months since I posted it online to them; to which I had a cold, one sentence response of 'You have been made unsuccessful due to the program now being closed'.
I would already be moving from France so I cannot afford to take out a living loan and also a second student loan next year as this years intake marks the end of nursing courses being subsidised. So that's it for me- the end of my dream without even being considered.
Heartbroken :frown:
Original post by chamonixgemma
So that's it for me- the end of my dream without even being considered.
Heartbroken :frown:

Hi chamonixgemma - I was just wondering, why did you rule out going for the BSc through clearing? You'll be equally qualified for the job at the end and the course is essentially the same, but you'd be graded more favourably on the BSc. I'm a mature student with a degree and they couldn't take me on the MA but I'm happy enough on the BSc because the funding it better too. Do you know if the subsidies are gone from January or September next year?
Hi guys, I'm starting the mental health course April 2017 and I am wondering if this course will allow me to hold a part time job alongside studying? I know that it is a full time course but I am looking to live in but to do that I need to have a part time job to help me fund the living expense. Anyone who has done this course, can you advise me if living in is do able because I really want to live on my own but also do well in the course! Thank you
I think the last bursaries were with this Septembers intake, but Im not totally sure. When applying, I rang the Uni and spoke to them about my options and they told me to apply for the MA instead of the BSc. Wish I'd just applied for both now. Had some really bad advice from them all-round.
I'm seeing lots of things on the internet that they may be scrapping the need for a degree and bringing back the old style diplomas that you earn whilst working (and getting paid), so I've decided not to reapply just yet and see if that comes through as it will be much more financially beneficial for me.

Beth I think that its only 2-3 days a week when you are studying, but not when you are on placements, so unless you find a really flexible part time job that allows you more time off when you are on placements, its tricky- one of the reasons I won't be able to afford doing the degree now the bursary has stopped. Bit of a pain seeing as you are essentially working when on placement but not being paid or able to do any other paid work!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending