Living Outside St Andrews Watch

chamandee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

I have an offer from St Andrews for postgraduate study, and I'd rather live in private accommodation than in student housing. As St Andrews itself seems fairly expensive, I was wondering whether there's anywhere close by with good public transport where students live? I'm not from the area and I probably won't be able to visit (so finding housing will probably be difficult haha), so I'm just looking for recommendations. I live in a small village close to my university town atm too and I don't mind the commute as long as living is nice and cheaper and there's a regular bus.
oldlady
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chamandee)
Hey guys,

I have an offer from St Andrews for postgraduate study, and I'd rather live in private accommodation than in student housing. As St Andrews itself seems fairly expensive, I was wondering whether there's anywhere close by with good public transport where students live? I'm not from the area and I probably won't be able to visit (so finding housing will probably be difficult haha), so I'm just looking for recommendations. I live in a small village close to my university town atm too and I don't mind the commute as long as living is nice and cheaper and there's a regular bus.
A number live in Dundee - frequent buses, takes around 35-40 minutes http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/data...%20Fife%20.pdf
chamandee
Rep:
?
(Original post by oldlady)
A number live in Dundee - frequent buses, takes around 35-40 minutes http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/data...%20Fife%20.pdf
Thanks! I thought that was too far, but I may consider it, seeing as it's a bigger city and all that jazz.
SL1235
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to be closer than Dundee, many staff live in Cupar, which is more like 20 minutes by bus. It's basically a market town though, and doesn't have a student-focused social scene at all.
chamandee
Rep:
?
(Original post by SL1235)
If you want to be closer than Dundee, many staff live in Cupar, which is more like 20 minutes by bus. It's basically a market town though, and doesn't have a student-focused social scene at all.
I've decided for Edinburgh now, but thanks for the info anyways!
miguedrp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why did you decided for Edimburg? I am going to study for 3 months topics relates with my PhD. and at most I would want to go to the university three times at week. Can somebody give an advise about where to live?
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by chamandee)
Hey guys,

You know, the Western side of St Andrews is basically a typical British residential suburb (semi-detached houses) where, if you share a house with 3 or 4 other students you can rent for pretty cheap (~£350pm + bills). It'd be a 5 min bike ride into the centre of town, there is also a bus I believe
Last edited by CollectiveSoul; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (479)
79.97%
Leave (120)
20.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed