Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have an offer from St Andrews for postgraduate study, and I'd rather live in private accommodation than in student housing. As St Andrews itself seems fairly expensive, I was wondering whether there's anywhere close by with good public transport where students live? I'm not from the area and I probably won't be able to visit (so finding housing will probably be difficult haha), so I'm just looking for recommendations. I live in a small village close to my university town atm too and I don't mind the commute as long as living is nice and cheaper and there's a regular bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chamandee)
    Hey guys,

I have an offer from St Andrews for postgraduate study, and I'd rather live in private accommodation than in student housing. As St Andrews itself seems fairly expensive, I was wondering whether there's anywhere close by with good public transport where students live? I'm not from the area and I probably won't be able to visit (so finding housing will probably be difficult haha), so I'm just looking for recommendations. I live in a small village close to my university town atm too and I don't mind the commute as long as living is nice and cheaper and there's a regular bus.
    A number live in Dundee - frequent buses, takes around 35-40 minutes http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/data...%20Fife%20.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldlady)
    A number live in Dundee - frequent buses, takes around 35-40 minutes http://www.dundeetravelinfo.com/data...%20Fife%20.pdf
    Thanks! I thought that was too far, but I may consider it, seeing as it's a bigger city and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be closer than Dundee, many staff live in Cupar, which is more like 20 minutes by bus. It's basically a market town though, and doesn't have a student-focused social scene at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SL1235)
    If you want to be closer than Dundee, many staff live in Cupar, which is more like 20 minutes by bus. It's basically a market town though, and doesn't have a student-focused social scene at all.
    I've decided for Edinburgh now, but thanks for the info anyways!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.