Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it a vocation of personal benefit for you, or do you want to earn a living as a writer? If so, in what profession?

What type of writing do you engage in?

How do you make time for this part of your life?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's definitely a vocation. Writing, at present, doesn't even remotely pay the bills, but the more I write the more chance I have, and I do push myself out there as a writer. I've attended 32 conventions in the past 12 months, signing and selling books. I'm slowly getting more known.

I write a supernatural horror book series based on Native American legends of werewolves, skinwalkers, wendigos, witches etc.

I write whenever and wherever I can squeeze it in. That's the beauty of carrying notebooks around with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    It's definitely a vocation. Writing, at present, doesn't even remotely pay the bills, but the more I write the more chance I have, and I do push myself out there as a writer. I've attended 32 conventions in the past 12 months, signing and selling books. I'm slowly getting more known.

I write a supernatural horror book series based on Native American legends of werewolves, skinwalkers, wendigos, witches etc.

I write whenever and wherever I can squeeze it in. That's the beauty of carrying notebooks around with me.

So impressive!

How old are you?

I'm definitely finding peace in accepting that it's a vocation and a craft. I love it, study it, hone it, perfect it, but whether or not I am employed in that field is not entirely within my control. So now I'm learning to relax and enjoy it, as I did when I was a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assan)
    Is it a vocation of personal benefit for you, or do you want to earn a living as a writer? If so, in what profession?

What type of writing do you engage in?

How do you make time for this part of your life?
    I am a freelance writer. For 20 years, my specialty has been case studies for business schools and international organizations. I have made a good living at it, but am tired of the format. Nonetheless, it has enabled me to travel all over the world on a good budget, get into interesting places, and meet amazing people.

I started out in freelance journalism in Japan and built from there. It has been a full time occupation for me, not something I sandwich between other jobs. I have raised a family, bought a house, and generated savings, much like any full time employee would - my work time isn't 9 to 5, I do a lot of research on my own time, usually extra reading in things that interest me.

I must say, it is a lonely profession and often feels more like a slog than a calling. The first draft is an agony, then the re-writing is sheer joy - the essence of professional writing is to enjoy re-writing.

It has also been a calling, but as I enter middle age, I am pretty burnt out by the routine and am seeking to re-make myself yet again. Life is starting over, after all.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    It's more of a vocation of personal benefit. As a living, I have considered it but I prefer script writing (which is what I wish to do after university)

I mainly write teenage novels of coming of age and occasional dramas.

I used to write a lot, before school got in the way but I think at the moment it isn't plausible based on the fact that I chose essay based subjects which can be a hassle!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Assan)
    So impressive!

How old are you?

I'm definitely finding peace in accepting that it's a vocation and a craft. I love it, study it, hone it, perfect it, but whether or not I am employed in that field is not entirely within my control. So now I'm learning to relax and enjoy it, as I did when I was a kid.
    32 although I'm in denial. I'm 28 in my head

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.