Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm going for my PRTC next Wednesday and I've been told that I don't need to do my FS maths and English because I already hold the GCSE grades to get in with maths and English, also I already have my FS level 2 in maths. I'm going for avionics, so could anyone definitely confirm for me if I do or don't do FS tests? I know there is a mandatory test but that's a different one to this

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry I can't answer your question as I am still early in the receruitment process, do you have a grade C in maths and english? would like to know as that is what I currently hold and would prefer to know now that I don't need to do the FS also.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I got my C's in maths and English yes but I also got FS level 2 maths so maths, I think I'll be ok but for English would be great to know because I thought I would because I don't have FS English but I was told that just having your C grade was enough

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you will have to do any of the FS exams if you have both GCSE's at grade c or above. Because GCSE is a higher level than functional skills so you've already prooved yourself if you get me. All the best for your PRTC mate!

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope so which would be a relief because I tried some papers and it's all a bit blank since I was at school haha. But thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Have a read of this pal: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3996273

Thats from someone who has recently done their PRTC and they have said if you have the relevant qualifications then you are not required to sit them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subwayking)
    Have a read of this pal: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3996273

Thats from someone who has recently done their PRTC and they have said if you have the relevant qualifications then you are not required to sit them.

Oh my lord you are a god saviour 🙏🏼 obviously still revise maths and English for the mandatory tests! But they're only 30 minute each which is fine haha. Thanks again pal

ReputationRep:
    If your GCSEs are older than 5 years do they still credit them or will I have to take the FS exams?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, when i went through i still has to take my fs skills no matter what my gcses. Both maths and english i got an a at gcse.. if you already hold fs at the right level take your certificate so tou dont have to sit them again.. that was 2 years ago so it might have changed just my experience.

Good luck
    Sarah

ReputationRep:
    I did PRTC last week. You do not have to do the functional skills if you have the relevant GCSE certificates as stated on your joining instructions. You have to take them down with you though. If you have got the relevant qualification but don't take them down you will have to sit them. You do not need functional skills if you have the GCSE's. Its also a lot shorter now. Your fitness test is around 4pm on day one on the Wednesday. If you pass this and you aren't required to take FS then you get away for around 3pm on the Thursday (day 2). Good luck

ReputationRep:
    also I took my gcses 13 years ago and they still counted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craigt858)
    I did PRTC last week. You do not have to do the functional skills if you have the relevant GCSE certificates as stated on your joining instructions. You have to take them down with you though. If you have got the relevant qualification but don't take them down you will have to sit them. You do not need functional skills if you have the GCSE's. Its also a lot shorter now. Your fitness test is around 4pm on day one on the Wednesday. If you pass this and you aren't required to take FS then you get away for around 3pm on the Thursday (day 2). Good luck
    Yeah I was the same - as Craig has said just take them with you, they will keep them as proof of you FS and you get them back after phase 2 once NVQ is done and dusted.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you all, which tests do you have to sit? Are they called bksb tests? If so are they reasonably straight forward!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.