Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is a question from the edexcel Heimann book. The solution is not in Physics and Maths .com and I can get the CD to work.
    3C Q18:
    A girl ans her sledge have a combined mass of 40Kg. She tarts from rest and descends a slope which is inclined at 25 degrees to the horizontal. A the bottom of the slope becomes horizontal for 15m before rising at 6 degrees to the horizontal. The girl travels 25m up the slope before coming to a rest once more. There is a constant resistance to motion of a magnitude 18N. Calculate the distance the girl travels down the slope. I shall include my working. I got 10.594m when the book says 11.8m. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attachment 519863519865
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I got 11.8m

All you need to do is consider the energy changes.
    So you have the energy at the start when the girl is at the top of the slope.
    The GPE is  40gd\sin 25^{\circ} where d is the distance up the slop the girl is.
    The total work done is 18 x (d+15+25)=18(d+40)
    The GPE gained going up the second slope is  40g \times 25\sin 6^{\circ} .
    So now set up an equation linking all this information together using the principal of conservation of mechanical energy and find d.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    I got 11.8m

All you need to do is consider the energy changes.
    So you have the energy at the start when the girl is at the top of the slope.
    The GPE is  40gd\sin 25^{\circ} where d is the distance up the slop the girl is.
    The total work done is 18 x (d+15+25)=18(d+40)
    The GPE gained going up the second slope is  40g \times 25\sin 6^{\circ} .
    So now set up an equation linking all this information together using the principal of conservation of mechanical energy and find d.
    Thank you very much for your help. Looking back I had the right idea but used the wrong numbers. Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.