Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just reached the section where I have to provide financial information for a higher maintenance loan. But I was wondering if there was a way where my financial information can be based on my partner's income rather than my parents.

I am 21, graduated from Uni last year, working full-time this year and will be studying a PGCE next year. I have lived with my partner for the last two and half years and will be living with each other when I study next year.

I am assuming I can't apply as an independent student because I still have contact with my parents and during the final two years of Uni I've financially supported myself through Student Finance [based on parent's income] and part-time jobs. I did not (and still don't) receive any financial help from my parents, and will be the same situation next year. Having the financial assessment based on my partner's income rather than my parents will mean I am able to get a higher loan. I'm rather worried as it will be a huge struggle to move and live in a city like Cambridge on such a small loan.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by steve10005)
    I have just reached the section where I have to provide financial information for a higher maintenance loan. But I was wondering if there was a way where my financial information can be based on my partner's income rather than my parents.

I am 21, graduated from Uni last year, working full-time this year and will be studying a PGCE next year. I have lived with my partner for the last two and half years and will be living with each other when I study next year.

I am assuming I can't apply as an independent student because I still have contact with my parents and during the final two years of Uni I've financially supported myself through Student Finance [based on parent's income] and part-time jobs. I did not (and still don't) receive any financial help from my parents, and will be the same situation next year. Having the financial assessment based on my partner's income rather than my parents will mean I am able to get a higher loan. I'm rather worried as it will be a huge struggle to move and live in a city like Cambridge on such a small loan.
    The simplest way to achieve this is to get married (and I know that sounds flippant but it genuinely is the easiest thing to do - the other options include having a child or being over 25)

Alternatively if you can prove that you have supported yourself for 3 years (with payslips/P60s usually demonstrating income of ~£7k pa)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.