Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I have a week left before I submit my final set of GCSE options, which I will be taking in June 2018. The options are as follows:

GCSE English Literature
    GCSE English Language
    GCSE Maths
    GCSE Science (Double or Triple, I am not sure yet)
    GCSE Spanish
    GCSE P.E.
    GCSE History
    GCSE Photography
    GCSE Statistics (NOT SURE)

I have tried to keep a wide variety of options, so they are open for more career courses, however, I am not sure about GCSE Statistics, as many people have claimed that the coursework involved requires a lot of work and is immensely boring, but it is quite easy and useful for further mathematical, geographical and science careers at A-Levels or Uni. Plus, it is good to have an extra GCSE. I have not really decided fully on it, but I don't know what to do for reserve.
    Please drop down your opinions on these options, as they would be really useful for me - I want to get a wide variety of options and they should be enjoyable. Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by xxSonuxx)
    Hi there. I have a week left before I submit my final set of GCSE options, which I will be taking in June 2018. The options are as follows:

GCSE English Literature
    GCSE English Language
    GCSE Maths
    GCSE Spanish
    GCSE P.E.
    GCSE History
    GCSE Photography

I have tried to keep a wide variety of options, so they are open for more career courses, however, I am not sure about GCSE Statistics, as many people have claimed that the coursework involved requires a lot of work and is immensely boring, but it is quite easy and useful for further mathematical, geographical and science careers at A-Levels or Uni. Plus, it is good to have an extra GCSE. I have not really decided fully on it, but I don't know what to do for reserve.
    Please drop down your opinions on these options, as they would be really useful for me - I want to get a wide variety of options and they should be enjoyable. Thank you.
    I think they are a good choice of options, if you are comfortable then triple science would be better as it would make it easier to study sciences in the future but you dont have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I think they are a good choice of options, if you are comfortable then triple science would be better as it would make it easier to study sciences in the future but you dont have to
    Thanks for your opinion; yes I would like to take triple science, if possible. And, what do you think of GCSE Statistics? Is it worth doing? I'm not sure if it's a single year or 2 year course though...?
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for your opinion; yes I would like to take triple science, if possible. And, what do you think of GCSE Statistics? Is it worth doing? I'm not sure if it's a single year or 2 year course though...?
    I'm afraid i actually dont know of anyone that studied gcse statistics so can't be much help there.

ReputationRep:
    I took the same as you apart from German instead of Spanish and IT instead of photography. I don't know anyone who has taken statistics or even an extra GCSE but it sounds like it would be super helpful for you in the future as long as you can keep up with the work an extra GCSE would give you! I'm in year 12 now and I feel like my diverse GCSE options were successful so I hope they'll be good for you too! It's always good to keep your options open if you're unsure 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

GCSE English Literature
    GCSE English Language
    GCSE Maths
    GCSE Spanish
    GCSE P.E.
    GCSE History
    GCSE Photography

I have tried to keep a wide variety of options, so they are open for more career courses, however, I am not sure about GCSE Statistics, as many people have claimed that the coursework involved requires a lot of work and is immensely boring, but it is quite easy and useful for further mathematical, geographical and science careers at A-Levels or Uni. Plus, it is good to have an extra GCSE. I have decided fully on it, but I don't know what to do for reserve.
    Those are good options don't know know about GCSE
    statistics mainly because my school doesn't do it.You could consider GCSE sociology its really interesting however u have to be good at writing e.g doing a 24 marker(ocr exam board)

ReputationRep:
    The options you have made are reasonable and I myself would recommend doing Triple science and not double if you get the choice. I am doing it at the moment and in my opinion it is very manageable and the extra content that is covered isn't overly strenuous or complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiahj11)
    I took the same as you apart from German instead of Spanish and IT instead of photography. I don't know anyone who has taken statistics or even an extra GCSE but it sounds like it would be super helpful for you in the future as long as you can keep up with the work an extra GCSE would give you! I'm in year 12 now and I feel like my diverse GCSE options were successful so I hope they'll be good for you too! It's always good to keep your options open if you're unsure 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for your opinion; it has really boosted my views on Statistics. Yes, I am trying to keep my options open too, haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asad2001)
    Those are good options don't know know about GCSE
    statistics mainly because my school doesn't do it.You could consider GCSE sociology its really interesting however u have to be good at writing e.g doing a 24 marker(ocr exam board)
    Sadly, my school doesn't do GCSE Sociology, but it sounds interesting. Since you said it's more writing and essay-based, I think History would be one other subject to consider too (for other students).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattB_)
    The options you have made are reasonable and I myself would recommend doing Triple science and not double if you get the choice. I am doing it at the moment and in my opinion it is very manageable and the extra content that is covered isn't overly strenuous or complicated.
    Yes, I'd love to do triple science and my teacher has said I would be likely to do it too. However, in our school in Year 10, both bands (X & Y) mix together to make one whole year, so it's much tougher to compete against each other - you have to catch up quite quickly, and it depends on your previous assessments too, which I think I've done well in.. I like to learn topics in a bit more detail anyway, ha.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, my school doesn't do GCSE Sociology, but it sounds interesting. Since you said it's more writing and essay-based, I think History would be one other subject to consider too (for other students).
    definantly go for history u need it to achieve an ebacc and to go to a good university

ReputationRep:
    I regret taking photography at GCSE it is rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would personally with P.E and Photography with geography and something else, but if you enjoy it by all means go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyjanee15)
    I regret taking photography at GCSE it is rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why is that? Lol, I just want to do photography because I enjoy it and I wanted to choose something from the Arts & Designs section. Art, resistant materials, music and etc are subjects I'm not very fond of to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrlhyms)
    I would personally with P.E and Photography with geography and something else, but if you enjoy it by all means go for it!
    P.E. is compulsory, so you can't change that unfortunately. :/ However, photography is something I enjoy - I hate geography by all means, and prefer History any day lol. Also, I chose photography because I wanted to do something creative, not just all written and straightforward subjects, if you see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Why is that? Lol, I just want to do photography because I enjoy it and I wanted to choose something from the Arts & Designs section. Art, resistant materials, music and etc are subjects I'm not very fond of to be honest.
    all you do is edit and make powerpoints, not much practical at all. and the exam is 2 days long

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in Year 12 now and I did GCSE Statistics last year (Edexcel). I didn't choose it though, instead all of top set maths was entered for it as an extra GCSE. We only had a couple of lessons on it before the exam and a few revision sessions besides the coursework. I managed to get an A in it but the subject is an absolute bore. It's really not interesting or fun and given we only spent two weeks on it and people got As and Bs and Cs, I wouldn't put two years of work towards it. I got an A* on the exam and a B on the coursework. I'd recommend looking at some past papers with the mark schemes and seeing if it interests you, but I thought it was horrible.

The coursework is really tedious and as far as university and college goes, it really doesn't make much of a difference (if any). Colleges will look at your maths. I'm doing a stats module at the moment in A level maths and GCSE Maths has been more useful than stats in that regard. That said it can give you a head start on certain topics. Unless you want to do A level maths or stats, a GCSE in stats is unnecessary. The exams are pretty easy though. A lot of questions are just common sense. Universities on the other hand are unlikely to look past your maths and English grades. They are pretty much only interested in your A levels

I'd definitely recommend GCSE History and Spanish (though I did French, a language is massively useful). But yeah, with my experience of stats, I wouldn't recommend it. It's easy but boring. You've got some far more interesting subjects on your list I'd take instead. I would recommend triple science as well, so long as you enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I took statistics. It was an extra gcse in year 10. I really liked statistics when I decided to revise for it and I managed to get an A in the exams but because of my controlled assessment it brought me down to a B. Overall, it's worth learning if your wanting to go down the maths route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find Statistics quite easy and kind of enjoy it.
    It's one of those subjects where if you revise at least a bit then you can easily pass.
    If you like maths and were thinking of taking maths at A level it could be useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeMuttitt)
    Hi,

I'm in Year 12 now and I did GCSE Statistics last year (Edexcel). I didn't choose it though, instead all of top set maths was entered for it as an extra GCSE. We only had a couple of lessons on it before the exam and a few revision sessions besides the coursework. I managed to get an A in it but the subject is an absolute bore. It's really not interesting or fun and given we only spent two weeks on it and people got As and Bs and Cs, I wouldn't put two years of work towards it. I got an A* on the exam and a B on the coursework. I'd recommend looking at some past papers with the mark schemes and seeing if it interests you, but I thought it was horrible.

The coursework is really tedious and as far as university and college goes, it really doesn't make much of a difference (if any). Colleges will look at your maths. I'm doing a stats module at the moment in A level maths and GCSE Maths has been more useful than stats in that regard. That said it can give you a head start on certain topics. Unless you want to do A level maths or stats, a GCSE in stats is unnecessary. The exams are pretty easy though. A lot of questions are just common sense. Universities on the other hand are unlikely to look past your maths and English grades. They are pretty much only interested in your A levels

I'd definitely recommend GCSE History and Spanish (though I did French, a language is massively useful). But yeah, with my experience of stats, I wouldn't recommend it. It's easy but boring. You've got some far more interesting subjects on your list I'd take instead. I would recommend triple science as well, so long as you enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your suggestion; it has helped me. What do you think about GCSE Geography and BTEC Health and Social Care? Are BTECs considered weak to GCSEs? I don't know...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.