Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone, i tried to contact GPs, I personally went there but straight away they refused to give any kind of work experience due to patients confidentiality etc.... I tried to call up the hospitals but they dont seem to reply, I seriously what else to do, I am getting tired and at the same time i feel useless sitting at home doing nothing so can someone please send me some links about doing a work experience in the medical field in oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hard work)
    hello everyone, i tried to contact GPs, I personally went there but straight away they refused to give any kind of work experience due to patients confidentiality etc.... I tried to call up the hospitals but they dont seem to reply, I seriously what else to do, I am getting tired and at the same time i feel useless sitting at home doing nothing so can someone please send me some links about doing a work experience in the medical field in oxford.
    There should be a work experience coordinator at your local hospital, be patient and try and find their details and contact them. If you can't get anything in the medical field, anything where your working with and helping people looks good. Try old peoples home and schools, they will be more than happy to give you some work experience. Also talk to your school, they would have helped people get into medicine before and might have some contacts. Good luck!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nicoleemmak)
    There should be a work experience coordinator at your local hospital
    I like your phrasing. There should be yes. Often there isn't.

Keep contacting lots of people and pester. If they don't have a designated work experience/volunteering person then go for consultant's secretaries, human resources, whoever. E-mail and phone. You've little to lose and its their fault if they're not making it easy for their future employees to get help.

Also talk to your school, they would have helped people get into medicine before and might have some contacts.
    Worth trying, but there are plenty of schools that have never even got anyone into medicine, let alone kept 'contacts'.

ReputationRep:
    Basically what everyone's said above, but I'll link you to the NHS Jobs search tool. If you search 'volunteer' and plug in all the other relevant details you can see if there are any opportunities within your area - you can also sign up to email alerts so you're notified if something pops up (can't remember how to do this off the top of my head but I don't recall it being particularly difficult).
    Worth a try if you haven't had any luck elsewhere - might also be worth seeing if there are any private care homes/other relevant institutions near you and to try contacting them? A bit of creative googling might be needed for this but if you get something from it you can't really complain.
    Good luck, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any help with anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightwoXd)
    Basically what everyone's said above, but I'll link you to the NHS Jobs search tool. If you search 'volunteer' and plug in all the other relevant details you can see if there are any opportunities within your area - you can also sign up to email alerts so you're notified if something pops up (can't remember how to do this off the top of my head but I don't recall it being particularly difficult).
    Worth a try if you haven't had any luck elsewhere - might also be worth seeing if there are any private care homes/other relevant institutions near you and to try contacting them? A bit of creative googling might be needed for this but if you get something from it you can't really complain.
    Good luck, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any help with anything
    Thank you for your advice but NHS Jobs search tools? hows that gonna help because clearly the NHS wouldn't offer a 17 year old such high standards job?
    Do you think there might still be any job opportunities for 17 years old doing A level in NHS?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello,

We're sorry to hear you're finding it difficult to secure work experience. As many posts say above - keep at it, and keep pestering!

Have you been through this page of the NHS website?

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/volunteer...volunteer.aspx

If you scroll through it, it has some helpful links to websites that coordinate volunteer work across the UK.

Hope you find it useful,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice but NHS Jobs search tools? hows that gonna help because clearly the NHS wouldn't offer a 17 year old such high standards job?
    Do you think there might still be any job opportunities for 17 years old doing A level in NHS?
    The voluntary positions are classed as jobs and lumped in with literally everything else (so vacancies for trained GPs and surgical registrars and whatnot). I found it misleading too to start with.

At 17 I landed a voluntary placement in the dementia ward (chatting to the patients that don't get many visitors, essentially) that I went to once a week for about 8 months using the website. A few others in my year did patient survey by applying through the same route. That's why I suggested it - it obviously depends on what's near you, as we were lucky enough to have a fairly accomodating hospital close to college, but it's worth a shot.

If you type in 'volunteer' without putting any geographical filters in a lot of stuff should pop up (not all of it will be relevant, but look for things with a job type of 'voluntary'). Most of the standard volunteering posts will ask for you to be over 16 or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in Oxford, the John Radcliffe does a scheme in its Blood Transfusions and Transplant unit which is quite good but applications open for that in September/October but you don't do it until March
    EDIT: you could try (but not sure if you'll get in) for the Bucks placements and then just take the bus to whichever hospital you're assigned as that will give you another 2 days of work experience

ReputationRep:
    be persistent - I sent easily 50 emails trying any sort of medically-related place within 15 or so miles of my house and at best got 10 replies, with 1 being successful.
    Also be prepared to be completely flexible with your dates - you may have to make a few sacrifices
    Spoiler:
    Show
    eg. I'm missing my 6th form induction day to carry out WE since it was the only available week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    If you're in Oxford, the John Radcliffe does a scheme in its Blood Transfusions and Transplant unit which is quite good but applications open for that in September/October but you don't do it until March
    EDIT: you could try (but not sure if you'll get in) for the Bucks placements and then just take the bus to whichever hospital you're assigned as that will give you another 2 days of work experience
    wow that sounds amazing, so how do I apply for it?
    they will let 17 year old for a placement in a hospital?

ReputationRep:
    wow that sounds amazing, so how do I apply for it?
    they will let 17 year old for a placement in a hospital?
    NHSBT (Radcliffe) makes you write a personal statement and a CV as well as filling in some other forms but yes they say you have to be minimum 17. With stuff in the Bucks placement, I think some placements you can do when you're 16 but others you have to wait until you're 17 like Paediatrics but they very rarely take people for Paediatrics due to safeguarding issues. I did all my work experience before I was 18 so yes it is doable you just have to be prepared to travel. Plus its really easy to just get the bus as Oxford is quite well connected so you could even try Milton Keynes as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    NHSBT (Radcliffe) makes you write a personal statement and a CV as well as filling in some other forms but yes they say you have to be minimum 17. With stuff in the Bucks placement, I think some placements you can do when you're 16 but others you have to wait until you're 17 like Paediatrics but they very rarely take people for Paediatrics due to safeguarding issues. I did all my work experience before I was 18 so yes it is doable you just have to be prepared to travel. Plus its really easy to just get the bus as Oxford is quite well connected so you could even try Milton Keynes as well
    If you don't mind could you send me the links for those placements.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind could you send me the links for those placements.
    I can't find the links so the best thing is probably to email the voluntary services department of each hospital sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    I would also recommend trying places like physiotherapy or osteopaths as they are also recognised as you are working in a similar field to medicine. I would definitely recommend looking into volunteering at a local nursing home for the elderly as they are always looking for volunteers.

ReputationRep:
    When I did mine I just emailed consultants directly and all of them replied. It might be easier just to do the same and avoid any middle men. I worked with the Samaritans as well and they are always looking for volunteers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.