Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,
    I'm 26 (turning 27 late July) I'm seeking to start my programming, developer career. I am studying a Computer Science with Maths degree part time which I will complete at 29.

Realistically, I'll probably get my first job in 6-7 months time and that too only on £20k as my first salary although with experience I can move onto higher paying jobs after as .NET/Java developer.

Who knows, once I get that first job, women may look at me differently.

I'm scared if women look down on my first salary and they do not trust my ambitions to move ahead in my career and earn good salaries 2-3 years after I start my career.

The career I'm going into is quite well paid and I'm very ambitious to earn well.I feel I'm way behind in my career and women may think I'm a loser.

Appreciate your comments

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so worried about what they may think? If starting out at the bottom makes you a loser, no one would win :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,
    I'm 26 (turning 27 late July) I'm seeking to start my programming, developer career. I am studying a Computer Science with Maths degree part time which I will complete at 29.

Thats a very respectable career path you should be happy with that for starters, you could always be a maths tutor if things go too dry and awry

Realistically, I'll probably get my first job in 6-7 months time and that too only on £20k as my first salary although with experience I can move onto higher paying jobs after as .NET/Java developer.
    Thats still average/better than average news tbh, could be A LOT worse

How did I know women would come up? xD

I'm scared if women look down on my first salary and they do not trust my ambitions to move ahead in my career and earn good salaries 2-3 years after I start my career.
    Then they are not the woman for you!

One of the things in a good relationship is belief and trust.

You believe and trust you won't cheat on each other, talk to your exes too much or eat the last pizza slice.

Similarly you believe and trust that their future/career will work and encourage each other emotionally or otherwise.

The career I'm going into is quite well paid and I'm very ambitious to earn well.I feel I'm way behind in my career and women may think I'm a loser.

Appreciate your comments
    I think women are taking too much of your cerebral cortex atm (brain) , you need to realise you're doing well, you will do well and that you are at least well. (healthy)

Concentrate on yourself first, for women, confidence and humour are a must!

Once you got yourself and your studies sorted, just be yourself and you'll meet someone, I promise

Also YOURE NOT A LOSER

A LOSER GIVES UP!

http://img.picturequotes.com/2/18/17...rs-quote-1.jpg

http://quotepixel.com/images/quotes/...es_15005-3.png

Hi all,

Appreciate your comments
    Brah I study and don't work and got a gf, just go for it

It sounds like you're trying to get into that career for the wrong reasons... who cares what women think of you at the moment?

And seriously, it's better late than never! That's a great choice of career.
    Do it for yourself first, everything else will fall into place.

I'll also be 29 by the time I graduate CompSci, I'm more interested in learning something for the next 4 years that excites me than worrying about the little details. The age thing means nothing.

Try not to think into it as much and have fun.

Hi all,

Appreciate your comments
    I think I'm similar too you but I'm female. Whilst I'm at a top 5 uni I won't graduate until 28, 29 if I decide to include a masters. I often feel this makes me a bad dating prospect. Let's face it my peers would probably prefer a girl their own age and likewise I'm generally not attracted to younger men. When it comes to guys my own age and older it seems they want someone more established, well travelled etc. Add to that a female biological clock and I'm thinking I may as well give up the dream of having a partner and a family of my own.

So in terms of advice... I don't mean to down play your situation at all but because you are male I think you can get away with it. That being that even once you graduate you have plenty of time to establish a career and find a partner. I know you feel down about the delay but think positively you are probably still miles ahead where a lot of men you age are and you are travelling miles away from where many men could ever reach.

Plus I think you may meet someone sooner than you think I don't think you need to establish this high flying career first. Because the thing is, if a woman really likes you it won't matter at the end of the day what stage you are at or you salary. A healthy, respectful relationship transcends this. If you attract a woman based on your status you can only expect to be used for it in the end. Some say it's harder for a wealthy man to find real love. Women don't want him for his heart, his passion, and his qualities but for his utilities and assets.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.