Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Please look at the attached screenshot. I do not understand how I would arrive at these values for V1 and V2 (quoting from "Answers" section of the book):

I1 = 0.3
    V1 = 3.4
    V2 = 2.6

Thank you!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    So you understand that \sideset{}{_1} I = 0.3 from basic principles.
    Now you have 0.3A going through \sideset{}{_1} V and 0.4A going through \sideset{}{_2} V

Conservation proof:
    As the loop that contains \sideset{}{_1} V has to equal \sideset{}{in} V = 3.4,
    \sideset{}{_1} V = 3.4
    and so \sideset{}{_2} V = 2.6 from the conservation of the entire loops EMF.

\sideset{}{_1} I = 0.3
    \sideset{}{_1} V = 3.4
    \sideset{}{_2} V = 2.6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    Hi all,

Please look at the attached screenshot. I do not understand how I would arrive at these values for V1 and V2 (quoting from "Answers" section of the book):

I1 = 0.3
    V1 = 3.4
    V2 = 2.6

Thank you!
    Voltage across parallel sections is the same so the V1 = 3.4 too, then work out the overall resistance and the resistance of the parallel bit.

Find the difference between them and that is the resistance of V2, then simply use V=IR to get the pd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    So you understand that \sideset{}{_1} I = 0.3 from basic principles.
    Now you have 0.3A going through \sideset{}{_1} V and 0.4A going through \sideset{}{_2} V

Conservation proof:
    As the loop that contains \sideset{}{_1} V has to equal \sideset{}{in} V = 3.4,
    \sideset{}{_1} V = 3.4
    and so \sideset{}{_2} V = 2.6 from the conservation of the entire loops EMF.

\sideset{}{_1} I = 0.3
    \sideset{}{_1} V = 3.4
    \sideset{}{_2} V = 2.6
    (Original post by derpz)
    Voltage across parallel sections is the same so the V1 = 3.4 too, then work out the overall resistance and the resistance of the parallel bit.

Find the difference between them and that is the resistance of V2, then simply use V=IR to get the pd.
    Thank you both very much for your explanations!

I still do not understand why V1 = 3.4V, though. Could you please explain this a bit further?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Because we are looking at the 'potential difference' between two points when we look at 'voltages' across components.

As the ends of both resistors are connected directly they must be at the same 'potential' and so the potential difference across both resistors must be the same.

I hope that has cleared this up for you, if not I can try to explain further

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.