The Student Room Group

Official IB Exams Thread 2016

As far as I can tell, there isn't already one of these.

How does everyone feel coming up to the exams?

What are your hopes and predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty nervous about it all.....First exams in 23 days -_-
Revision hasn't been going as smoothly as I would have hoped.
Reply 2
Original post by IBonfire
Pretty nervous about it all.....First exams in 23 days -_-
Revision hasn't been going as smoothly as I would have hoped.

Ah same here, I had a full revision timetable planned out but I've been way too optimistic about how long it would take to revise certain subjects and topics..

I've been predicted 34 and based on coursework and how prepared I feel at the moment I think I have a decent chance of getting it, it's just stressful as hell. I'm praying for low grade boundaries tbh

18 days left so good luck to everyone!
Hey, a bit off topic here, but what do we do about sending the IB exams to UCAS? Does it do it for you automatically or do we have to request for it to be sent?

I've also been quite behind on revising my SL subjects. I have not been studying Chemistry SL a lot lately since I'm prioritizing a 666 on my HLs :\ I'm predicted a 41 and I feel quite determined to achieve higher haha.

Good luck everyone! Please help with the question! :smile:
Original post by neelianeelia
Hey, a bit off topic here, but what do we do about sending the IB exams to UCAS? Does it do it for you automatically or do we have to request for it to be sent?

The careers dept in my school does it for us so they might do the same in your school.

As for my revision, I havent touched one of my SL subjects (Should do so soon :tongue:)

I've also been quite behind on revising my SL subjects. I have not been studying Chemistry SL a lot lately since I'm prioritizing a 666 on my HLs :\ I'm predicted a 41 and I feel quite determined to achieve higher haha.

Your school sorts that out for you by A Level results day.

However, last year I had to inform the unis myself on IB Results day.

I'm just resitting a couple of exams :tongue:
Reply 6
Hey guys you know how the Uk is VERY strict about our IB points, like I've been told if we miss our offer by one point we lose our offer, whereas in A levels if they drop from Bs to Cs they still get in.
I wanna know how rigorously the rule is implemented. Cause by the looks of my revision lol, I feel as if I might drop a few points. (From my projected grades sent to uni)
Reply 7
Original post by u97
Hey guys you know how the Uk is VERY strict about our IB points, like I've been told if we miss our offer by one point we lose our offer, whereas in A levels if they drop from Bs to Cs they still get in.
I wanna know how rigorously the rule is implemented. Cause by the looks of my revision lol, I feel as if I might drop a few points. (From my projected grades sent to uni)

I spoke to a few admissions tutors and I've been told that some uni's may excuse up to 2/3 points off. 2 points would equal to a grade drop in A levels so I'd say that's fair ish.
It does depend on the uni though, like I doubt Oxbridge would accept anyone who missed their offer even by a point but some places like Nottingham tend to be quite lenient come results day.
Hope that helps!
Unlike people posted above, i haven't started my HL subjects yet because this is where i feel most confident about but... i am starting freaking out :eek:
Original post by u97

Last year I got 38 765 765 2

HL 6 was one scaled mark from a 7
HL 5 was becauee of 7653 in the four French modules
SL 5 was one scaled mark from the 6
My EE was two scaled marks from a B (after my school marked it at an A) and ToK was 1 scaled mark (equivalent to 0.5 real marks) from an A.

My Durham offer was 38 666
My Cambridge offer was 42 776

Both unis rejected me. I'm resitting HL English and SL Maths this year.
Reply 10
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Last year I got 38 765 765 2

HL 6 was one scaled mark from a 7
HL 5 was becauee of 7653 in the four French modules
SL 5 was one scaled mark from the 6
My EE was two scaled marks from a B (after my school marked it at an A) and ToK was 1 scaled mark (equivalent to 0.5 real marks) from an A.

My Durham offer was 38 666
My Cambridge offer was 42 776

Both unis rejected me. I'm resitting HL English and SL Maths this year.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that, I know it doesn't help me saying it but getting a 38 is tremendously brilliant so it's just such a shame they rejected you and you have to sit for them again. Consider yourself lucky because my schools a bit of a scum in that sense, they don't let us re-sit our exams at all - we'd have to go to a different institute if we wanted to so sitting for the exams again is not an option for me. Hope you get into both unis this time! Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by rach6277
I spoke to a few admissions tutors and I've been told that some uni's may excuse up to 2/3 points off. 2 points would equal to a grade drop in A levels so I'd say that's fair ish.
It does depend on the uni though, like I doubt Oxbridge would accept anyone who missed their offer even by a point but some places like Nottingham tend to be quite lenient come results day.
Hope that helps!

Thats VERY relieving to hear cause my unis seem to be a bit lenient ( Sussex - firm, Southampton - insurance) so if I miss my 35 by 2 points or so (which might just happen) I think (I hope) I'm safe. *FINGERS CROSSED*
Thank you SOOO Muchh!
hello thought I'd join this thread as well! my firm asks for a 43 777 and it is very intimidating (especially the 7 in Physics HL) and I probably made a mistake by choosing my insurance to be 39 with 18 total at HL but we'll see what happens
Original post by thecsstudent
my firm asks for a 43 777

Oh my god :eek: Which uni is that?!
Original post by Procaffinator
Oh my god :eek: Which uni is that?!

Imperial :frown:
Reply 15

For My School I had to tell the DP Coordinator which schools I wanted my results sent to otherwise they cant access our IB Scores
Original post by IFoundWonderland
As far as I can tell, there isn't already one of these.

How does everyone feel coming up to the exams?

What are your hopes and predictions?

Thanks for making this thread - I'm gunna sticky it so people can find it easily :h:
Reply 17
anyone else do HL biology and struggling so much? 😭
Reply 18
Original post by medleg
anyone else do HL biology and struggling so much? 😭

Yes! Multiple Choice really stresses me out :frown: Have you got your textbook? the practice exam questions at the end of every unit are actually my life-saver right now!
First exam in 5 days and haven't started revising yet HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest