The Student Room Group

Do you need further maths for a physics degree?

Currently in AS levels studying maths, physics, chemistry and geology (astronomy GCSE). Am still not 100% sure what I wanna study yet but I am definitely thinking in studying physics at university (not oxbridge, but at a Russel group uni), so will further maths be required?

Predicted AABB, aiming for AAAA
Further maths is unlikely to be required (some unis like it as an extra, and it would certainly lessen the workload in uni first year, but since not every school in the UK offers further maths they very rarely require it), and seeing as your predicted grades are a bit on the low side you're probably better off focusing on your A levels and coming out with As rather than taking on an extra AS and ending up with Bs :smile:
It's not essential for a majority of the russel groups but it is preferrable for a huge chunk, specifically those in the higher end. As the poster above said, dont worry about it too much, your better off focusing on your grades
Original post by skai2g
Currently in AS levels studying maths, physics, chemistry and geology (astronomy GCSE). Am still not 100% sure what I wanna study yet but I am definitely thinking in studying physics at university (not oxbridge, but at a Russel group uni), so will further maths be required?

Predicted AABB, aiming for AAAA

It's not essential but the skills you gain from further maths especially FP1/FP2 and M2/3/4 will probably be covered within a few weeks of your degree so before you go to university it's worth having a look at the content
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Further maths is unlikely to be required (some unis like it as an extra, and it would certainly lessen the workload in uni first year, but since not every school in the UK offers further maths they very rarely require it), and seeing as your predicted grades are a bit on the low side you're probably better off focusing on your A levels and coming out with As rather than taking on an extra AS and ending up with Bs :smile:

Of course in the next 2 months or so my sole concentration is on my current AS exams, but if I was to teach myself further it would most likely be over the summer, I know for a fact my school allows students to self teach themselves further maths as that's what my friend in upper sixth does. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ememoville
It's not essential but the skills you gain from further maths especially FP1/FP2 and M2/3/4 will probably be covered within a few weeks of your degree so before you go to university it's worth having a look at the content

Thanks, I will be sure to at least look over the content of some of the modules before going to uni, but is actually having the A level not really necessary? I will teach myself it over the summer, and put 100% concentration into my current AS's now
Original post by skai2g
Thanks, I will be sure to at least look over the content of some of the modules before going to uni, but is actually having the A level not really necessary? I will teach myself it over the summer, and put 100% concentration into my current AS's now

I think it depends where you go - some places will almost expect it while at others it's not an issue. But you're already doing A-levels so you can't change much now anyway?
Original post by skai2g
Of course in the next 2 months or so my sole concentration is on my current AS exams, but if I was to teach myself further it would most likely be over the summer, I know for a fact my school allows students to self teach themselves further maths as that's what my friend in upper sixth does. :smile:

Bear in mind that if you weren't working on further maths you could spend that time working on your other subjects though to boost your grades. Plus the actual further maths exams will be in June, so you'll have to spend extra time when you might be better off revising everything else working on further maths.

Of course, if you think you can do it there not much harm in spending your summer giving further maths a go, you can always wait until around feb-march next year when the deadline is to register for the exams to make your final decision.

Personally though, I'd say it's not essential for your uni application and getting good grades in everything else would be more of my priority - so don't stress too much over further maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest